Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General INCI “natural” aromas

• INCI “natural” aromas

Posted by AnnalisaB on December 30, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    Hello all,

I contacted a small supplier that sells “natural flavor/aroma oils”. They say: “our flavors/aromas include the natural essence or extractives obtained from plants”
    When I asked what is the specific INCI for labelling purpose this is what they replied: Sunflower seed oil with natural and organic flavorings

Imo this is not the correct way to insert this ingredient in the INCI, I find it vague. 
    Can anyone give me an opinion on this? What would you use in the INCI?

Thank you!

Annalisa
    AnnalisaB replied 8 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • JohnM

January 22, 2015 at 3:37 pm

We run into this as well when we are working on natural and organic products.  Some of the ingredient suppliers that are primarily food industry focused are often not knowledgeable about INCI nomenclature.  In most cases, with some pushing we get to a better ingredient disclosure. It may be a multitude of ingredients.  

To get a product certified, full disclosure will be required generally.
    John Melville
    Biddiscombe Labs
  • bobzchemist

January 22, 2015 at 4:08 pm

With the info they’ve given you, the only INCI name you can use in the US is “Fragrance”. If it’s a lip product, you could probably get away with “Flavor” instead.

• Kirk

January 23, 2015 at 1:53 am

The supplier will not disclose the full info to you as the complete ingredient list of their product is a “trade secret”. You can try signing a non-disclosure agreement with them if you really want to pursue getting the ingredient list.

• bill_toge

January 23, 2015 at 8:25 am

if the flavour is IFRA compliant and has a certificate confirming this, then “Aroma” (in Europe) or “Flavor” (in the US) would be sufficient

also, for labelling purposes, it would be helpful to know how much of it is sunflower oil, and how much of it is flavour
  • crisbaysauli

January 26, 2015 at 12:30 am

For “natural” aromas, usually manufacturers combine essential oils from fruits or flowers, so it is just right for them to provide the source of the essential oil. You can even claim “fragrance-free” as a marketing point since the aroma used is a natural scent of natural ingredients.

• AnnalisaB

August 19, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Thank you all for the info and your opinions!!

It helps a lot.
    In case you already have experience with their flavors, the small supplier I am talking about is Texas Natural Supply (I hope it is ok to write this…I am not affiliated nor have anything to do with them)