Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Kids Bubbles Solution

• Kids Bubbles Solution

Posted by Zeeshan on August 20, 2020 at 9:18 am

Hi All,

I would like to make a bubbles solution for my kids, as they’re crazy about it.

I have made one in the past which was basically a hand wash formulation but very slightly thickened with salt. I had used SLES, Cocamide DEA, Glycerine (thought it would help hold the bubbles) preservatives and water.

It sort of worked but the bubbles were not holding and burst immediately, which left the little ones quite disappointed.

Can anyone please suggest how to go about this?

Thanks,

Zeeshan

Zeeshan replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • helenhelen

August 20, 2020 at 10:12 am

This is easy to do - add HEC (hydroxyethyl cellulose) into the mix. You can buy HEC easily online as it’s also sold as a slime ingredient and it’s safe on skin. You can get it unbranded or as Natrosol.

Continuously stir it in water for a while to hydrate it until it turns viscous and slightly gel-like (it’s not just a case of hand stirring it with a spoon but it also shouldn’t take hours). Then add the bubble ingredients. I don’t think glycerin is necessary.

If you search online, there are instructions for creating bubble mixes for giant bubbles, which describe exact ratios of ingredients. But for a casual bubble mixture for kids, a teaspoon or so of HEC in a beaker is a good place to start. Add more to make the mixture more gel-like and for the bubbles to last longer.

• Zeeshan

August 20, 2020 at 1:13 pm

@helenhelen thank you for the feedback.

Instead of HEC, can I use Xanthan Gum? It is more readily available here in Kenya - I actually have some at home.

If I increase the % of CDEA would that help as well?

Thanks.

• helenhelen

August 20, 2020 at 3:58 pm

Zeeshan said:

@helenhelen thank you for the feedback.

Instead of HEC, can I use Xanthan Gum? It is more readily available here in Kenya - I actually have some at home.

If I increase the % of CDEA would that help as well?

Thanks.

Sorry I have no idea on either question! But I’m sure someone has asked the same xanthan question somewhere if you search Google.

• oldperry

August 20, 2020 at 4:30 pm

Yes, you may be able to use xanthan gum in place of HEC.  But it depends on the system. You will not necessarily get exactly the same feel or performance.

• Zeeshan

August 21, 2020 at 7:52 am

Thank you for all the feedback - much appreciated.