Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions What is the lowest allowed pH level of professional hair products by law? in EU & US

• What is the lowest allowed pH level of professional hair products by law? in EU & US

Posted by Lisani on August 8, 2020 at 5:16 pm

Hello all,

Since I haven’t found any online reliable source for this question, I was wondering - what is the lowest allowed pH level of professional hair products (hair straightening) according to the regulations of EU and the US? taking into consideration that a “Safety Assessment” report is necessary.

Thanks in advance for your answers and have a great weekend.

Lisani

oldperry replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • oldperry

August 10, 2020 at 7:31 pm

The lowest level is the level which you can prove will not harm people. There isn’t a number. There is a formulation & how it affects skin.

• Lisani

August 10, 2020 at 10:19 pm

Thanks for your answer @Perry, much appreciated. 

• Dr_Sara

August 13, 2020 at 7:15 am

Lisani said:

what is the lowest allowed pH level of professional hair products (hair straightening) according to the regulations of EU and the US? taking into consideration that a “Safety Assessment” report is necessary.

In regards to EU regulation, pH alone will not determine the safety of a cosmetic. The Cosmetic Product Saftey Report (CPSR) is issued looking at all the ingredients and how they fit into the legal restrictions. 

Do you have a formulation in mind? I could have a look and see if it would be considered “safe”