Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Glycerin and propylene glycol in water-based pomade

• Glycerin and propylene glycol in water-based pomade

Posted by Dimati on July 20, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I make pomade like gel:
    water
    ceteareth-20
    glyceril cocoate
    glycerin
    propylene glycol
    i think you know what i mean.
    The question itself:
    1 .I have seen pomade that dry quickly on the hair and form a hat or helmet on the head.  What affects the drying rate of pomade ?  I think this is due to a certain amount of glycerin or propylene glycol. Right ?
    2. Why would anyone use only glycerin or only propylene glycol? What is the difference between them on the hair?  Which dries faster?

Thanks everyone
    chemicalmatt replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • chemicalmatt

July 20, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Dimati: glycerin is the humectant, propylene glycol is added (1:4) along with glycerin to mitigate it’s tackiness. Unless tackiness is your goal - and some edge gels need that attribute - then use both.

• Dimati

July 21, 2020 at 11:39 am

Dimati: glycerin is the humectant, propylene glycol is added (1:4) along with glycerin to mitigate it’s tackiness. Unless tackiness is your goal - and some edge gels need that attribute - then use both.

If I add 4 parts propylene glycol and 1 part glycerin, will I have moisture (glycerin is the humectant) and no stickiness (tackiness)?
    Is that correct?
  • chemicalmatt

July 21, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Negative on the humectancy. Positive on the lack of tack. Stick with the greater ratio glycerin I mentioned and add another mufta of PG.

• Dimati

July 22, 2020 at 5:14 pm

Negative on the humectancy. Positive on the lack of tack. Stick with the greater ratio glycerin I mentioned and add another mufta of PG.
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    I’ve got one more question.
    I use 30 percent ceteareth-20 or 25 percent ceteareth-25. My pomade is very thick and sticky. It is difficult to apply to hair. How to deal with this? Can I reduce Cetearet-20 to 21% from 30%?
  • chemicalmatt

July 22, 2020 at 6:45 pm

That’s a good place to start. Looks like you’ve figured it out.