Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Distilled water or??

• Distilled water or??

Posted by GripClean on December 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I have been using distilled water for all my at home formulations/experiments. I am trying to up my quantities and production capabilities. But I am having a hard time sourcing distilled water. What other options are there out there instead of distilled? Deionized, filtered, ??? Any differences in the outcome of a product by switching water types? Thank you for any help!

-Bryce
    belassi replied 9 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

December 20, 2014 at 2:55 pm

A good quality bottled water will be fine - look for reverse osmosis types and check the stated contents for (eg) sodium content.

• chemist77

December 20, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Agree with @Belassi, check the domestic RO (reverse osmosis) plant and depending on your requirement of GPD (gallons per day) you can make the choice. Make sure the filters are changed regularly and the TDS check is done on daily basis to maintain the quality. 

• heraklit

December 21, 2014 at 2:59 am

I use Deionization Column with filter to our drinking tap water. I check TDS everytime i use it. If TDS goes over 1 i change the resins. Our drinking tap water is of good quality without contaminants or bacteria.

• belassi

December 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm

DI (ion exchange) column is also very good. I’m about to install a dual type in my lab, supposedly it produces water suitable for use in a microbiology facility.