Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Glow oil looking tacky and cloudy

• Glow oil looking tacky and cloudy

Posted by Majman on July 19, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Please I tried making glow oil that’s lightening for dry skin so I used avocado oil at 93%, kojic acid dipalmitate at 5% and salicylic acid, since it’s oil soluble at 2% but it became cloudy and tacky. What could be wrong plus I’ll like to have glitter suspended in it, what can I use? I’ve heard of corbol or corpol, not sure, lease help

Majman replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • EVchem

July 20, 2020 at 4:18 pm

Majman said:

I’ve heard of corbol or corpol, not sure, lease help

I think you mean carbopol, which won’t help for an oil based product. Search the forum for ‘oil gellant’ or ‘oil gel’ and you’ll see there are several materials that could help, depends on what you can get your hands on. Not all oils are the same, avocado might not be the best for dissolving salicylic. You can cut down or change the base oil

• chemicalmatt

July 20, 2020 at 9:17 pm

Get rid of salicylic acid - problem with cloudy/tacky solved. You don’t need it anyway of skin lightening is your goal. Adding C12-15 alkyl benzoate will solvate SalAc in this too if you just gotta’ have it. To add suspension properties to a lipid system you may want to explore hydrated silicas, like the Aerosil & Sipernat line from Evonik. EV makes a good suggestion too: mix up your triglyceride oils to change the polarity around a bit.  

• Majman

July 20, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Thanks alot