Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Problem while making alchohol based Hand Senitizer

• Problem while making alchohol based Hand Senitizer

Posted by Chirag on July 14, 2020 at 8:29 am

Hi everyone, hope all of You are very well and healthy during this Corona Pandemic. 
    I am trying to creat a small batch of Alcohol based hand Sanitizer of which following is the composition:-
    TOTAL BATCH SIZE 100 GM

AQUA.                      29 seGM
    IPA                            66 GM
    GLYCERIN.                2  GM
    CARBOMER 940     .5  GM
    TEA                            3  GM

All of these ingredients are yet to be added. What I have only done is -
    First of all I have taken isopropyl alcohol 66 gm ( as I have purchased all these chemicals from a local SUPPLIER so I am assuming that the IPA may be of 90% concentration and I want to have 60%IPA LEVEL )in a plastic jar and sprinkled .5gm CARBOMER over it in a single shot. Then I stir the recipe for 10 mins. Now look at what I have in the image below. My question is 
    1) Is it right way to dissolve carbomer in IPA ?
    2) then I added glycerin and water and at the end of all I added 3 gm Triethanolamine but I haven’t got the desired results.
    The final product looked like that

Please direct me how can get rid of this carbomer Lumps ?
     Thanks in advance and looking for your dearly opinions.

Chirag replied 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • padmavathi

July 14, 2020 at 10:23 am

Make a carbopol gel with water, then add that to IPA. Neutralize with NaOH or TEA.

• Chirag

July 14, 2020 at 11:33 am

Thanks @Padmavathi
    Do I need hot water or cold ? Once I have tried to sprinkle carmomer over normal water but it turned into lumps that dint solubilized. Carbomer doesn’t dissolve in water and alcohol but what I am getting are LUMPS.
    Still thanks I will try again to get it right with hot Water and will show you my results.😊
    Thanks again.

• padmavathi

July 14, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Please check message.

• pattsi

July 14, 2020 at 3:59 pm

940 is a bit hard to hydrate with out a proper equipment.
    if it for personal use i made it like this.

1.add 940 through a sifter little by little to water(room temp) while stirring and let it hydrate over night to form a thick water gel.

2.the next day slowly add IPA to the water gel while stirring. if u stir by hand i recommend divide IPA to 5 parts and add 1 part at a time and stir about 5 min then add in more.

3.to neutralize the gel add TEA and stir. 

4.add Glycerin and stir.

have fun stirring and stay safe. :)

• rodb1958

July 15, 2020 at 1:31 am

try neutralising with aminopropanol, the amp-carbomer complex is much more compatible with alcohols than tea-carbomer or sod-carbomer 

• MapX

July 15, 2020 at 2:42 am
  • Chirag

July 16, 2020 at 9:52 am

Thanku So much @mapx for the link. It helped me a lot.

• Chirag

July 16, 2020 at 9:55 am

Thanku @rodb1958 for such kind information but now I only have TEA so I am trying to make out with this neutralizer. I will also try AMP - Carbomer after purchasing AMP😊

• Chirag

July 16, 2020 at 9:56 am

ThankU @Pattsi I have followed the instructions and they really helped me.😊

• Chirag

July 16, 2020 at 9:57 am

Thanku so much @Padmavathi I have tried this way and made the product. Now I will to creat larger batches and will come with the results. 😊