Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Growth Oil formulation help

• Growth Oil formulation help

Posted by FormBishop on July 9, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with formulating a growth oil with just carrier oils and essential oils.

I know the oils I want to use, just not the percentage. Would anyone be able to help with that? My formula looks something like this:

1. Carrier oil: %
        Carrier oil: %
        Essential oil: %
        Essential oil: %
        Fragrance oil: 0.5%

I’d also like to add something like Peg-7 Dimethicone for a serum/slip type feel. It’s not necessary, but if someone can help me work that into the formula that would be greatly appreciated.  

This will be made for a thicker curly hair type that can withstand more carrier oils

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous replied 3 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • pharma

July 9, 2020 at 7:15 pm
    So, you’re basically looking for someone to provide you with a formulation you can copy-paste?
    Honestly, if you want real stimulation of hair growth, drop the oils and use minoxidil. The only essential oil constituent which is, AFAIK, said to stimulate hair growth is menthol…
    Besides, oils on hair don’t do anything to the hair other than ‘greasing’ them (which isn’t a bad thing with your target hair type) but because hair is dead matter, this doesn’t do anything to promote their growth. Growth takes place in the skin and oils don’t do anything there in this regard.
  • FormBishop

July 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for your response. Sorry, I didn’t mean that I wanted someone to create a formula for me. I was just looking for an example. I’m planning on adding peppermint and rosemary oil for growth stimulation. I’m just not sure what percent I should add. I don’t want to go over the recommended amount. 

Is it okay to do a formula with carrier oils that are all equal parts, with essential oils having a lower percent?

Kind of like this:
        Avocado oil: 22%
        Grapeseed oil: 22%
        babassu oil: 22%
        sweet almond oil: 22%
        apricot oil: 7.5%
        peppermint oil: 2%
        Rosemary oil: 2%

• belassi

July 9, 2020 at 11:19 pm

2% peppermint oil? If you get that in your eyes you will think it’s pepper spray.

• FormBishop

July 10, 2020 at 2:35 am

Belassi said:

2% peppermint oil? If you get that in your eyes you will think it’s pepper spray.

Thanks! Now I know that 2% is too much. I’m really new to this and I’m not a chemist. This is why I’m asking professionals for an example or a recommendation on the appropriate amount. I don’t want to do anything that can be harmful or unsafe.

• amitvedakar

July 10, 2020 at 4:33 am

Thanks for your response. Sorry, I didn’t mean that I wanted someone to create a formula for me.
    Is it okay to do a formula with carrier oil
    Kind of like this:
        Avocado oil: 22%
        Grapeseed oil: 22%
        babassu oil: 22%
        sweet almond oil: 22%
        apricot oil: 7.5%
        peppermint oil: 2%
        Rosemary oil: 2%

Also checkout cost price after adding all this.

• ozgirl

July 10, 2020 at 5:26 am
    Creating cosmetic products is all about trying something and then testing it to see if it meets your expectations. So try that blend of oils and if you like it great if not adjust it and try again (and again). 
    Grapeseed oil has a relatively low shelf life so you would probably be best to avoid this oil unless you are making small batches for personal use only. 
    Start at much lower percentages for your essential oils and increase if necessary as these both have a very strong scent. 
  • lewhitak

July 10, 2020 at 4:39 pm

For me, I would put together a general list of what you would like to include and then you build on this list. 

Put together a spreadsheet or something where you can see all of your information at a glance. 

You’ll want to list:
    Pricing
    Shelf Life
    Purported Effect
    Usage Levels
    IFRA guidelines/Safety/etc (IFRA = Internation Fragrance Association)

You can also include tabs in your spreadsheet to show each version you’ve done and your notes for that version. 

Then, test each individual oil alone on your substrate and write down what you notice. Based on that, put together your first blend and add your fragrances and the PEG according to the supplier’s recommendations and the guidelines from IFRA for leave-on products. 

• belassi

July 10, 2020 at 6:21 pm

Peppermint is a very strong EO and its aroma will drown any other EO. A level of 0.2% will definitely be felt by your mucous membranes. I recommend you start with a very low level, perhaps 0.05%. When using EOs, fragrance oils in addition are not in general a good idea.

• FormBishop

July 10, 2020 at 11:49 pm

lewhitak said:

For me, I would put together a general list of what you would like to include and then you build on this list. 

Put together a spreadsheet or something where you can see all of your information at a glance. 

You’ll want to list:
    Pricing
    Shelf Life
    Purported Effect
    Usage Levels
    IFRA guidelines/Safety/etc (IFRA = Internation Fragrance Association)

You can also include tabs in your spreadsheet to show each version you’ve done and your notes for that version. 

Then, test each individual oil alone on your substrate and write down what you notice. Based on that, put together your first blend and add your fragrances and the PEG according to the supplier’s recommendations and the guidelines from IFRA for leave-on products. 

Thanks! A spreadsheet is a great idea. I’ll try that out.

• FormBishop

July 10, 2020 at 11:51 pm

Belassi said:

Peppermint is a very strong EO and its aroma will drown any other EO. A level of 0.2% will definitely be felt by your mucous membranes. I recommend you start with a very low level, perhaps 0.05%. When using EOs, fragrance oils in addition are not in general a good idea.

Thank you! This helps a lot. Is the addition of a fragrance oil not a good idea because the oil blend will be applied to the scalp?

• belassi

July 11, 2020 at 3:57 pm

It’s that we use either a fragrance, OR essential oil(s). Peppermint in a suitable amount gives a refreshing, cooling effect but I don’t like it in a hair product because if it gets in your eyes it is unpleasant.

• Anonymous

August 3, 2020 at 8:47 pm

You can also consider adding an active- Rootbiotech HO its probably the only Oil based active in the space of Hair growth and anti hair fall.