Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Shampoo Making, non ionic, anionic, amphoteric?

• Shampoo Making, non ionic, anionic, amphoteric?

Posted by peacelovenaturals on June 26, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Is it recommended that when making a shampoo blend you use a mixture of surfactants? Ive seen many brands you 2-up to 6 ingredients in their detergent line up. On average though 2-3. 

Is it recommended to use 1 of each anionic (main) non ionic (secondary) and an amphoteric? 

I currently have 1 anionic and 2 amphoteric surfactants and am considering purchasing a non ionic.

peacelovenaturals replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • belassi

June 26, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Each surfactant has its own properties profile so by mixing different types it is possible to produce the profile you want to achieve. For instance, sodium cocoamphoacetate is good for dense, small-bubble foam.

• peacelovenaturals

June 26, 2020 at 4:12 pm

Belassi said:

Each surfactant has its own properties profile so by mixing different types it is possible to produce the profile you want to achieve. For instance, sodium cocoamphoacetate is good for dense, small-bubble foam.

I have Sodium Cocoa and Coco Betain. Any preference?

• belassi

June 26, 2020 at 4:38 pm

That’s not a question I can answer. Designing shampoos, at least in my experience, is not that easy. There are many factors to consider, for instance thickening, sensorials, price of manufacture, appearance, cleansing strength, nature of foam, how the hair is after it dries… I think, overall, that designing skin formulae turned out to be easier than I had expected, but designing shampoos and conditioners, more difficult.

• peacelovenaturals

June 27, 2020 at 1:10 am

@belassi well I guess I got to get a learning then because that is my focus, hair care. Im a Licensed Hair Stylist by trade turned fashion designer/ stay at home momma. Trying to get back to my passion for hair. My body care products are more of a hobby because I also practice herbalism and its great to add those infused oils into body care items.