Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Duplicate an ingredient

• Duplicate an ingredient

Posted by heraklit on December 15, 2014 at 5:21 pm

If you can’t find an ingredient, could you duplicate it? For example if you can’t find Lamesoft PO65, you can read at its MSDS that consists of 32% Coco Glucoside, 26% Glyceryl Oleate, Citric Acid and 36% Water. So if you blend these constituents actually you will have Lamesoft. Ηas anyone tried something similar? Do you achieve the same efficiency?

heraklit replied 9 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • markbroussard

December 15, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Certainly, if you know the composition of an ingredient blend, you can purchase the individual components and make your own blend.  It won’t be Lamesoft, but it will be 32% CocoGlucoside, 26% Glyceryl Oleate, 36% Water, and 6% Citric Acid and should perform similarly provided that the individual ingredients are chemical identical to those used in Lamesoft.

I do this with some Preservative Blends and oil blends.
  • david

December 16, 2014 at 5:29 am

I don’t know which MSDS you have from Lamesoft but usually the exact composition is not given.

However I agree that duplicating is doable, and I would also recommend it, since a lot of suppliers today have ran out of news and they try to sell “optimized” blends of old ingredients instead (to a higher price).
  • heraklit

December 16, 2014 at 5:52 am

Thank you very much for your responses.