Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Moisturizing Ingredient in Powder Form?

Tagged: 

• Moisturizing Ingredient in Powder Form?

Posted by Anonymous on June 19, 2020 at 4:11 pm

As title says, Is there any Moisturizing Ingredient that is available in Powder/Solid form? We have made a Powder handwash and only thing thats missing is some Moisturization.

levita replied 7 months ago 11 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • belassi

June 19, 2020 at 4:26 pm

Sorbitol.

• rishabhsoti

August 4, 2020 at 4:44 am

Hi Harry what have you add for thickness in your handwash?

• pharma

August 4, 2020 at 7:06 pm
    Just keep in mind that many solid moisturisers are hygroscopic, they tend to attract moisture form air turning your product into a sticky lump over time if you’re not careful (like working the moisturiser into an oil to protect it from air and hence moisture).
    Other dry moisturisers are salts such as sodium PCA (also pure PCA) and sodium lactate, amino acids like proline, other sugar alcohols (polyols) which are often less hygroscopic than sorbitol such as erythritol, xylite, or inositol. Several, often quaternary, amino acid derivatives are highly efficient but often very hygroscopic moisturisers like choline chloride and the less hygroscopic choline bitartrate, betaine aka glycine betaine aka trimethyl glycine and carnitine and it’s derivatives, or related DMAE bitartrate, ectoine, and citrulline (commonly available as malate salts). Also sugars (trehalose comes to mind), taurine, allantoin, and creatine can serve as poorly hygroscopic humectants. And obviously, urea is a solid. There’s also stuff you’ve probably never heard of and which may not be used as cosmetic ingredients such as beta-alanine betaine, pipecolic acid and its salts, betonicine and choline-O-sulphate which would be great though they are highly hygroscopic.
    And then, there are all the more or less lipophilic and hence non-hygroscopic emollients which often have a moisturising effect (although many are liquids or semi-solids).
  • Cst4Ms4Tmps4

October 29, 2020 at 11:21 pm

Ah! This confirms my preconceived notion as to why many so-called “humectant”. I am looking for confirmation biases! LMAO!

Perhaps they are technically humectants but only when relative humidity is very very high. Otherwise, they (Urea, Trehalose, Erythritol) recrystallise as water evaporates.

They do not behave as Sorbitol, Glycerol, nor Fructose, in other words.

Sorbitol and Fructose once touch with water, they need tremendous amount of energy to have their ‘captured’ water removed. 

• natiyo123

October 30, 2020 at 10:06 pm

sodium lauroyl lactylate is a solid surfactant that also acts a moisturizer and has some antibacterial properties. Theres similar surfactants like this.

• emma1985

November 3, 2020 at 5:54 am

I like Niacinamide, N Acetyl Glucosamine and Aloe Vera powder. And panthenol.

• deneuxben

November 9, 2020 at 8:34 am

is panthenol COSMOS approved ?

• EVchem

November 9, 2020 at 5:50 pm

LaraCare® A200

(INCI Galactoarabinan ) “LaraCare® A200 is a natural, mild, and water-soluble polysaccharide that enhances emulsion stability, reduces transepidermal water loss (TEWL), and provides moisture control in formulations. This product helps to improve appearance of skin’s superficial fine lines, impart film forming properties, and helps improve formulation uniformity which may ultimately enable SPF enhancement. It is approved by ECOCERT in ecological and organic certified cosmetics

• pharma

November 10, 2020 at 6:19 am
    In my experience, LaraCare makes emulsions feel drier, less tacky, and less oily once applied. However, it forms a film and that one might reduce TEWL although the film itself doesn’t feel hydrated or moist. It’s more a ‘rough’ velvety film, hard to describe, which I think has potential though my wife really doesn’t like its feel.
    Bottom line is, I wouldn’t consider LaraCare a moisturising ingredient, rather the opposite. On the other hand, it might be used to mask negative impressions (tack, stickiness, gloss) by too much added moisturising agents.
  • ngarayeva001

November 10, 2020 at 7:10 am

I would step back and challenge whether it’s a humectant that you need. Surfactants are supposed to clean, they don’t moisturise. No humectant would do anything noticeable in a wash off product. Probably what you need is to reassess what makes your product drying. Without knowing anything about the formula it’s either wrong combination or surfactants, or too much of surfactants or, you just need some cationic materials to add slip.

• levita

August 30, 2023 at 7:50 am

What cationics would add a slip? Help 🙂