Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Improve the feel of hair serum?

• Improve the feel of hair serum?

Posted by Anonymous on June 17, 2020 at 11:37 am
    I made a very simple water serum for my seborrheic dermatitis & hair loss. It does help with the itchiness & oiliness. I am happy with the result, but I don’t like the feel when applying it. It sprinkles everywhere when I rub it (even in my eyes), also, the droplets separate when on the scalp (become like flakes) and it looks like I haven’t applied the product everywhere.
    I don’t have that problem with other retail products. Maybe the issue is the low viscosity of the product? I really don’t have much knowledge in this field.
    Formula:
    Distilled water - 84%
    Ethanol - 12.2% (penetration enhancer, preservative)
    Glycerin - 2% (moisturizer/humectant)
    Zinc sulfate (heptahydrate) - 1% (active)
    Caffeine - 0.4% (active)
    Phenoxythanol - 0.4%
    —-
    Where I live there aren’t much sellers of cosmetic ingredients.
    What I can get my hands to:
    Xantham Gum, Polysorbate 80, Polysorbate 20, Cetyl alcohol, Sorbitol, Emulsifying Wax (Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-20 Stearate), Emulsifying Wax NF (Cetearyl alcohol and polysorbate 60), Glyceryl stearate SE, Propylene glycol

What would be the best choice and concentration here? Do I need a thickener, surfactant or an emulsifier? I haven’t worked with any of these and don’t know the difference. I was thinking of adding maybe 0.1% xantham gum, but decided to ask for some help first.

Thank you!
    Anonymous replied 3 years, 9 months ago 0 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.