Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Metal ions

• Metal ions

Posted by heraklit on December 14, 2014 at 4:24 am

I’m thinking to add a sterilized aqueous extract of a local healing mud in a shampoo for label appeal. The extract have much of Fe, Ca, S, Sr, Mg, etc. Will i have any problem at a concentration 3 - 5%?  May i need to add chelating agents like EDTA or better sodium phytate?

ozgirl replied 9 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • chemist77

December 14, 2014 at 4:33 am

I think we have had a similar discussion in the past and there was this issue of color change with the incorporation of mud but that was with Salicylic acid in some other world. For this I am guessing

1. Why would you add mud (even if it is sterilized aqueous solution or not) to a product whose primary function is to clean the hair and scalp?
    2. What kind of shampoo is it, whether ionic or sulfate free?????? Because I am guessing you are going to have charge clash in a charged shampoo (sulfate based and similar kinds)?????
    3. Even the maximum prescribed quantity of EDTA won’t suffice if the mud has high ion content in IMHO.

But why don’t you add and see how it performs, chemistry is all about trials and experimentation.

• heraklit

December 14, 2014 at 5:18 am

Milliachemist thank you for your response.
    For label appeal. This mud is famous in our region for its healing properties. Probably at low concentration will not have any influence positive or negative.
    2. The shampoo will be sulfate free: Sodium cocoyl or laroyl/methytl isethionate - CAPB - Decyl glucoside, some cationic, 2 - 3 herb extracts, xanthan, glycerin etc.
    3. So maybe it’s better to add lower concentration, 1 - 2%?
    I will search forum for similar discussions.

• ozgirl

December 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Metal ions can interfere with the efficacy of some preservatives. I would be very careful about adding this even with a chelating agent.