Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Benzene from Citric Acid and Sodium Benzoate?

• markbroussard

December 12, 2014 at 11:04 am

It all depends on how much Citric Acid and how much Sodium Benzoate you are using in your formulation?  I’ve seen products on the shelf that do include Sodium Benzoate and Ascorbic Acid from well-known companies.

• landmark

December 12, 2014 at 11:30 am

Sodium benzoate is well regulated, in beverages max 300 mg max if Im not mistaken, now citric can be incorporated in larger quantities in food and beverages, now I think that the trigger here is the pH which usually is very low (2.8-4.5).

• Liset

December 12, 2014 at 11:30 am

Citric acid in combination with Sodium Benzoate will not lead to the formation of Benzene but you should be careful using Ascorbic acid and Citric acid in the same formulation, because Citric acid could accelerate the formation of Benzene. Even using Ascorbic acid and Sodium Benzoate in your formulation will not necessarily produce Benzene you will need additional conditions leading to the formation of Benzene.

• belassi

December 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I don’t see the point of using sodium benzoate when potassium sorbate will get the job done safely and efficiently.

• Ruben

December 13, 2014 at 12:20 am

@Belassi I don’t know how often people use sodium benzoate to preserve their products. The problem is that many ingredients, especially botanical extracts, come preserved with Potassium Sorbate/Sodium Benzoate.

• bill_toge

December 13, 2014 at 6:24 am

the key phrase in that paper is “metal catalyzed” - the reaction won’t happen unless there’s iron present

if you use deionised water (which, as far as I know, many food manufacturers don’t), the concentration of iron and other metals is virtually nil, as is the probability of this reaction occurring

• markbroussard

December 13, 2014 at 8:46 am

After re-reading the article, I really don’t think you have anything to worry about, particularly if you add a chelating agent to your formulation as the author noted that the addition of EDTA inhibited the reaction.  And, as Bill_Toge points out, the reaction is “metal catalysed” by either iron or copper.  So, add a chelating agent and the potential issue is pretty much resolved. 

• david

December 13, 2014 at 10:27 am

Yes, MarkBroussard&Bill_Toge, you are right, there is nothing to worry about, I will just use a chelating agent. The reaction can’t take place without a metal catalyst that can produce a hydroxyl radical.

• nasrins

December 13, 2014 at 11:26 am

@david its just a report and it isnt in paper form, is it authentic?
    @bill_toge here iron is catalyst and isnt necessary in formation of benzene

• bill_toge

December 14, 2014 at 2:18 pm

@nasrins, it would take a very powerful reducing agent to reduce benzoic acid to benzene without assistance from a catalyst; ascorbic acid on its own is simply not that powerful

• david

December 19, 2014 at 3:32 pm

nasrins what do mean with “just a report”?  it is a peer-reviewed scientific article. This is usually viewed as the most authentic source of science.

• Love72727272

March 5, 2021 at 2:13 am

what if you use sodium
    benzoate in a deodorant with essential oils that contain vitamin c example lavender or bergamot? by applying 
    our underams how can we be 100% certain that in the long run it will not cause cancer or other health issues?