Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Starting a cosmetic line Question regarding change of ph level of rosewater toner when adding preservative

• Question regarding change of ph level of rosewater toner when adding preservative

Posted by janee203 on May 11, 2020 at 2:22 am

Hi this is my first post thank you for your help. I am making toner with  rosewater and rose hydrosol. I read that .15% potassium sorbate with .05% citric acid would preserve these toners so that is what I am using now. When the ph is lowered to 3 to make the solution safe does the lower ph change the good hydrating properties of rosewater and the hydrosol?  I ordered Optiphen plus because I wanted to preserve the original ph of rosewater but now that I found this site it seems that it may not mix well in water? Second question, when I use orange peel powder to make a serum and only use glycerin and oils with no water added, do I have to preserve?  If I add witch hazel to the serum will I have to preserve? Thank you!

janee203 replied 3 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

May 11, 2020 at 2:22 pm

You don’t need to go as low as pH 3. 5 will be fine.

• janee203

May 11, 2020 at 2:32 pm

Thank you Belassi, I am new to all of this but am now so intrigued. I made a serum for my daughter with orange peel powder that I made myself, jojoba oil and veg glycerin and in two months her cystic acne is all but gone. She also uses the rose toner so I don’t’ know if it’s the combo. She was riddled with large pimples and tried everything for years including expensive medications and now this! We are excited to see such a change and it was unexpected. I am happy but of course concerned that it will stay bacteria and fungus free.

• belassi

May 11, 2020 at 4:14 pm

It’s possible the rosewater contains natural preservatives but that does not remove the need to preserve it.

• janee203

May 11, 2020 at 4:40 pm

Yes I agree do you think that there is a better preservative than citric acid and potassium sorbate for the rosewater? I want to keep it as natural as possible but also make sure no bacteria and fungus.  I really appreciate your help!

• Cafe33

May 11, 2020 at 5:38 pm

The commercial rose water I buy is preserved with sodium benzoate. 

• oldperry

May 11, 2020 at 5:39 pm

DMDM Hydantoin plus Methylparaben is a better preservative system for cosmetics than potassium sorbate + citric acid.

• janee203

May 11, 2020 at 6:07 pm

Thank you Perry and Cafee33 I appreciate the help.  

• janee203

May 11, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Is the DMDM Hydantoin plus Methylparaben better because it preserves more effectively? Will it change the PH?