Question regarding change of ph level of rosewater toner when adding preservative

Hi this is my first post thank you for your help. I am making toner with  rosewater and rose hydrosol. I read that .15% potassium sorbate with .05% citric acid would preserve these toners so that is what I am using now. When the ph is lowered to 3 to make the solution safe does the lower ph change the good hydrating properties of rosewater and the hydrosol?  I ordered Optiphen plus because I wanted to preserve the original ph of rosewater but now that I found this site it seems that it may not mix well in water? Second question, when I use orange peel powder to make a serum and only use glycerin and oils with no water added, do I have to preserve?  If I add witch hazel to the serum will I have to preserve? Thank you!

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member
    You don't need to go as low as pH 3. 5 will be fine.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • janee203janee203 Member
    Thank you Belassi, I am new to all of this but am now so intrigued. I made a serum for my daughter with orange peel powder that I made myself, jojoba oil and veg glycerin and in two months her cystic acne is all but gone. She also uses the rose toner so I don't' know if it's the combo. She was riddled with large pimples and tried everything for years including expensive medications and now this! We are excited to see such a change and it was unexpected. I am happy but of course concerned that it will stay bacteria and fungus free.
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    It's possible the rosewater contains natural preservatives but that does not remove the need to preserve it.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
    Yes I agree do you think that there is a better preservative than citric acid and potassium sorbate for the rosewater? I want to keep it as natural as possible but also make sure no bacteria and fungus.  I really appreciate your help!

• Cafe33Cafe33 Member
    The commercial rose water I buy is preserved with sodium benzoate. 
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    edited May 11
    DMDM Hydantoin plus Methylparaben is a better preservative system for cosmetics than potassium sorbate + citric acid.
    Thank you Perry and Cafee33 I appreciate the help.  
    Is the DMDM Hydantoin plus Methylparaben better because it preserves more effectively? Will it change the PH?