Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Reduce foaming and air entrapment during mixing

• Reduce foaming and air entrapment during mixing

Posted by hong2803 on May 7, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Hi all,
    I am developing a new formula of shampoo using large amount of surfactants like Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine and I am facing a problem that too much foam created during the mixing process. I tried heating but it seems not to be improved much.
    How to reduce foaming during mixing? And I also use Sodium benzoate as the preservative and citric acid to adjust the pH. Do them play any role toward reducing foaming?

Thank you. 

gunther replied 3 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • drbobverdient-biz

May 7, 2020 at 3:16 pm

try sub surface addition of the surfactants with slow mixing.

• fekher

May 7, 2020 at 3:53 pm

@hong2803 try to reduce the level of surfactants it will help for sure. 

• hong2803

May 9, 2020 at 2:13 pm

Fekher said:

@hong2803 try to reduce the level of surfactants it will help for sure. 

I can not change the formula. I can only modify the process (the order of adding raw material) and the parameters of equipment. 
    So here is my formula:
    1. Sodium Laureth Sulfate: 17.6%
    2. Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate: 2.9%
    Cocamidopropyl Betaine: 4.9%
    4. Lactic acid
    5. Whey Filtrate
    PEG-7 Glyceryl cocoate
    7. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (and) Glycol Distearate (and) Cocamide MEA (and) Laureth-10 (pearlizing agent)
    8. Tetrasodium EDTA
    Acrylates Copolymer
    10. Guar gum
    11. PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate
    12. Other preservatives and moisturizer.
    13. Water: 62%.

Water is added first in the mixing tank (76% of the amount of water) and then add the Whey Filtrate via an high inline mixer. And that leads to so much foam. I wonder which material should be added to the tank firstly and the order of other raw materials to minimize the amount of foam.

• fekher

May 9, 2020 at 2:53 pm

@hong2803 then I will go with slowing the speed of mixing I guess it helps to reduce the foam. 

• belassi

May 9, 2020 at 4:07 pm

You appear to be using whey filtrate as a substitute for surfactants, to achieve foaming. (Your active surfactant % appears to be far too low to make an effective shampoo, otherwise.)
    I suggest the foaming problem is a direct result of this design approach.

• pharma

May 9, 2020 at 6:16 pm

Could you work under reduced pressure (vacuum)?

• hong2803

May 10, 2020 at 1:37 am

Pharma said:

Could you work under reduced pressure (vacuum)?

Yes, I am using vacuum. But as my observation, when so much foam is already created in the mixing tank, vacuum is not effective in reducing the foam.

• hong2803

May 10, 2020 at 1:40 am

Belassi said:

You appear to be using whey filtrate as a substitute for surfactants, to achieve foaming. (Your active surfactant % appears to be far too low to make an effective shampoo, otherwise.)
    I suggest the foaming problem is a direct result of this design approach.

I agree with you. That is why I try to find the proper approach. Could you please suggest one?

• belassi

May 10, 2020 at 4:05 pm

Please understand I do not make cosmetics at that kind of scale, so take my words with a large amount of “maybe”, please.  My first approach would be to look at the economic factors of replacing the whey by increasing the surfactant level. 
    In terms of processing I think the whey should be added at the end of the process, in the middle of the tank, with slow paddle stirring.

• gunther

May 10, 2020 at 4:49 pm

Add the water soluble, non foaming ingredients first, i.e. EDTA tetrasodium, preservatives, etc

Predilute gel or thick liquid surfactants. i.e. predilute 70% SLES gel.

Premix surfactants with fragrance (if the fragrance is not water soluble or if you don’t use a fragrance solubilizer)

Add the thickeners as the last thing, i.e. CAPB
    BTW why Guar gum? Why acrylates copolymer? You can simply use tiny amounts of salt to thicken it, given you already have CAPB.

Keep mixer rpm low.