Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Non aqueous gel

• Non aqueous gel

Posted by alan123 on May 4, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Hi there,
    I am trying to create a face serum with no water.
    Only Silicone and Oils. 

My challenge is to create stable emulsifier / thickener. 

Do you guys have any direction? I am thinking about lecithin. The usual polymers(sepi’s) won’t hydrate without water.

alan123 replied 3 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • pharma

May 4, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Check THIS out. I think the products by Ajinomoto sound really cool though I’ve never tried them.

• ngarayeva001

May 4, 2020 at 9:30 pm

If oils are non-polar and you are looking for a clear product you need either micronised silica or silica dimethyl silylate.
    This one works with silicones https://www.ulprospector.com/en/eu/PersonalCare/Detail/818/235792/Covasilic-15

• alan123

May 5, 2020 at 11:35 am

Thank - I found a source for Silica Dimethyl Silylate. I will try to find more options

• EVchem

May 5, 2020 at 11:53 am

I’ve used oilkemia 5S with pretty good success (INCI Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (and) Polyurethane-79), though the feel was about what I expected from an oil gel- could have been my lack of silica and poor oil combo.
    The ajinomoto stuff does look awesome but you have to heat it very high

• ngarayeva001

May 5, 2020 at 8:45 pm

Just keep in mind the thickening effect depends on polarity. The product I mentioned won’t thicken polar ester but will work with silicones and some hydrocarbons. Much worse with non-polar esters.

• bill_toge

May 6, 2020 at 7:47 pm

+1 for the Ajinomoto gelatinisers, they work in a huge variety of solvents

• alan123

May 9, 2020 at 3:53 pm

It is a bit complicated to find Ajinomoto stuff however I will receive soon 1. Dimethicone (and) Dimethicone Crosspolymer
    and 2. Cyclopentasiloxane (and) C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer

• alan123

July 14, 2020 at 4:55 pm

I received today from makingcosmetics silicone gel Cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone/vinyltrimethylsiloxysilicate crosspolymer

After mixing with other silicons and oils including mineral oil looks like a bad product 

• LincsChemist

July 15, 2020 at 2:17 pm

If you’re using dimethicone at a significant percentage you could simply use a higher viscosity grade - they go up to 100,000+ cSt

• alan123

August 22, 2020 at 11:07 am

dimethicone + Cyclopentasiloxane had the ‘best’ outcome. thanks