COOLING EFFECT CREAM

I am very new in this areas. Please give me advice. Many thanks in advance.

I plan using one of these: Camphor, Menthol, Eucalyptus for my cooling cream. Which one is strong and enduring cooling effect? 

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member
    There's also peppermint oil, that's pretty effective and smells nice.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @Belassi thanks a lot. 
  • em88em88 Member
    Why not all three of them?
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @em88, thanks so much 
    what % of each based your experience?
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Hi everyone!
     I just found after searching on internet:
    when menthol or its substant touch the skin, the skin cold receptors send the signals to our brain to recognize the cooling effects.
  • em88em88 Member
    Try with 1% menthol, 1% Camphor and 0.2% Eucalyptus oil. You should feel the cooling effect. 
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    Thanks @em88
  • em88em88 Member
    It would be great if you give us a feedback. 
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @em88 , I will some time late next week. Just order and am told that little delay due to Wuhan virus 
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    menthyl lactate also works very well
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @Bill_Toge thanks. I just read the white paper saying that menthyl lactate is less irritating. I do not have experience on it yet.
  • lmoscalmosca Member
    Camphor activates heat receptors, not cold receptors.

Japanese peppermint oil is 60-70 % menthol. To the point that it's solid in cold weather and you have to heat it up to weigh it. That will be a viable option if you are interested in putting a plant name on the LOI. 
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @lmosca, thanks a lot. 
  • em88em88 Member
    Camphor, same as menthol, can induce both effects, cold and warm. It mostly will depend on concentration. That's why I suggested low concentrations. 
  • lmoscalmosca Member
    It's a time-dependent effect. Camphor cooling sensation fades in few minutes and is replaced by a warming effect. 
    If cooling is required, I would stick to menthol or menthyl lactate only, just to be sure.
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @lmosca, thanks again. I agree with you 100%. I usually evaluate each active ingredient deeply before formulating. I am also planing to formulate heating cream for cold seasons. Cooling cream is for spring and summer.
    @lmosca do you have experience on menthyl and peppermint eo? How do I improve the cooling duration and strength?
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @em88
    Here are the results:
    on facial cream, I tried the idea of @Belassi. Thanks @Belassi. i used only 0.1% peppermint oil. It smells good and gives cooling feel. Its smell is great! it makes you feeling good. 
    On the emulsified Scrubs, I used 1% menthyl lactate + mentha haplocalix extract. It cooler that I need for hand and feet. But, the endure of cooling is short. This is my first time to formulate scrubs.

• BelassiBelassi Member
    I'm glad this is working out well. Yes, you don't need much peppermint EO. It is one of my favourites along with lavender EO. 
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • em88em88 Member
    Dtdang said:
    @em88
    Here are the results:
    on facial cream, I tried the idea of @Belassi. Thanks @Belassi. i used only 0.1% peppermint oil. It smells good and gives cooling feel. Its smell is great! it makes you feeling good. 
    On the emulsified Scrubs, I used 1% menthyl lactate + mentha haplocalix extract. It cooler that I need for hand and feet. But, the endure of cooling is short. This is my first time to formulate scrubs.

Thank you for the feedback. I did a test myself a few day ago. I made a gel with 3% with camphor. The cooling effect was very noticeable. It persisted for some time and it didn't turn into a warm effect at all. I did as well tried a product with high concentration of menthol and camphor. The cooling effect was very noticable again and after 10 minutes it turned into a warming effect. 
  • DtdangDtdang Member
    @em88, thank you for sharing. I am little bit of afraid of irritation. I will try menthol and camphor next time on emulsified sugar scrubs. Do you know why the cooling effect turns into warming effect? Thanks @em88 in advance.

For facial cream, I think, peppermint eo is good enough.