Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Aluminium free antiperspirant

• Aluminium free antiperspirant

Posted by Sarah on December 3, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Hi Everyone.

Is there an antiperspirant active which does not contain Aluminium? 
    Innovadex and special chem for cosmetics are not coming up with anything. 
    My boss is adamant that I can use Zirconium but none of my suppliers can get hold of it.
    I am formulating a roll-on and using Tego Deo PY88 (Zinc Ricinoleate) as a deodorant. 

Any tips would be gratefully received. 

Sarah
    Sarah replied 9 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ozgirl

December 3, 2014 at 9:29 pm

I have only ever seen Zirconium in combination with Aluminium (Aluminium Zirconium Tetrachlorhydrex gly).

I have seen a couple of non Aluminium antiperspirant actives that were based on a sage extract. I did a quick test with one but didn’t get great results in terms of antiperspirant action. I think the one I used was from Greentech.

Where are you located because the only antiperspirant actives approved in the US all contain aluminium (Antiperspirants are considered OTC drugs in the US).

• Sarah

December 4, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Thanks Ozgirl.

I am in New Zealand but we export 90% of our product to the US. 
    Looks like I am going to have to really push back on marketing - they will have to decide which claim they want to make - antiperspirant or aluminium free.
  • bobzchemist

December 5, 2014 at 9:12 am

That’s exactly right, @Sarah. If you’re selling to the US, you either sell a deodorant without aluminium, or an antiperspirant with it. If you decide to sell a deodorant but also use some of the botanical antiperspirant actives, remember that you are not allowed to make any sort of perspiration-related claims at all without filing a NDA.

• eperfumes

December 5, 2014 at 10:42 am
  • Sarah

December 7, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Bob.

eperfumes - looks like the hubersorb 600 is being used for a deoderant - I was looking for an antiperspirant - thanks for the link though