Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Denatured Alcohol and Label info for hand Sanitizers

• Denatured Alcohol and Label info for hand Sanitizers

Posted by Anonymous on April 3, 2020 at 6:57 pm

Are alcohols denatured with methanol safe to use in a hand sanitizer? 

According to this:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18569160 they are, but I always thought methanol was toxic to humans, but it does read :

” Given their use as denaturants are at low concentrations of use in Alcohol, the CIR Expert Panel determined that Alcohol Denat. denatured with t-Butyl Alcohol, Diethyl Phthalate, Methyl Alcohol, Salicylic Acid, Sodium Salicylate, and Methyl Salicylate is safe as used in cosmetic formulations with no qualifications.”

If all that is true, SDA 3A would be safe to use? If so,does the Methanol need to be on the ingredient list?

Does anyone know the legal limit for methanol’s dermal contact?

It there a point when an ingredient is at small enough percentage it does not need to be listed?

Thank you in advance.

Cafe33 replied 3 years, 12 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Cafe33

April 3, 2020 at 7:09 pm

As someone who has been poison by Methanol fumes and as someone who had little respect for the toxicity of the compound, I can tell you that it is an alcohol that must be respected. Funny how some are worried about formaldehyde releasers yet are considering Methanol (not speaking about the OP, just generally)

I spent 1 month with mental confusion and a bizarre vision problem which made my world feel 2D. I was just in an area where the fume hood was not sufficiently strong for the scale of the reaction. 

The denatured Ethanol I used to purchased contained 5% Methanol. So if 70% was to be used, it would put it somewhere around 3.5%. Not sure about the dermal limit but I certainly would not want to apply that to my hands on a constant basis.