Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Anolyte Water as disinfectant

• lmosca

March 25, 2020 at 7:07 pm

Well, it is just another (fancier) way to produce bleach in the same way it was produced for a century via the chloralkali process. The process seems to mention to be able to control the pH of the final effluent, but it fails to me to understand why, as at the cathode you will generate sodium hydroxide. 

So yes, bleach is definitely one of the most poweful sanitizers out there (I love bleach!). As for its use as hand-sanitizer, I would not, unless it’s the only liquid available in a 25 miles radius.

• EVchem

March 25, 2020 at 7:22 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite
    ^that’s their ~star~ ingredient. That website doesn’t look very technical to be honest

• raiyana

March 26, 2020 at 12:33 am

One of the suppliers informed me that it can be taken orally (10% anolyte + 90% plain water).

Can be used with an air dehumudifier at 100% concentration to disinfect the surroundings.

I have a 1L sample with me now and the ingredients on the bottle says Klori 300-500mg/L, ORP 700-900 mV and pH is between 6-8.

Can someone with more knowledge advise if this is something safe to consume? Or everyone is just trying to come out with a “solution” for covid 19?

• raiyana

March 26, 2020 at 12:37 am

lmosca said:

Well, it is just another (fancier) way to produce bleach in the same way it was produced for a century via the chloralkali process. The process seems to mention to be able to control the pH of the final effluent, but it fails to me to understand why, as at the cathode you will generate sodium hydroxide. 

So yes, bleach is definitely one of the most poweful sanitizers out there (I love bleach!). As for its use as hand-sanitizer, I would not, unless it’s the only liquid available in a 25 miles radius.

Thank you for the reply. But if you can share with me why wouldnt you use it as a hand sanitizer? Is it not safe to use on the skin, or is it not effective?

• lmosca

March 26, 2020 at 3:49 am

@raiyana, would you drink bleach?

Seriously, if they claim you can drink it, then it’s probably just salty water.

You say there are 300-500 mg/L of chlorine, that would mean 300-500 ppm of chlorine. Dilute it 10x and you get 30-50 ppm.

Well, the CDC says that up 4 ppm of chlorine is safe for consumption, and that is the target level used for tap water.
    https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/public/chlorine-disinfection.html

You will be drinking something that is 10x above the safe consumption limit. That person that told you so should receive a visit from the FDA asap and receive a public flogging, for all that I care (or whatever institution regulates these things in other countries).

That is, if you still had free chlorine in it. 
    Unfortunately if you read this paper, solution of hypochlorous acid at pH 6 in pure water are stable for a few days, (closed container) and when exposed to light, only a few hours.
    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bio/22/4/22_223/_pdf/-char/en

Then there is the mixing / dilution with 9 parts of water. Everything that is the water (if you didn’t have milli-Q water) will react with hypochlorous acid and decompose it even faster.

So yeah, most likely, everything you have is just some salty water.

Is it safe to use on skin? Probably, just like bottled water would.

Is it effective as a hand sanitizer? Not likely, unless you used a solution that was produced within a few days and hasn’t been exposed to sunlight or UV light and has not been opened to the air for long periods.

Is it safe to drink? Again, would you drink bleach? You probably only have a bottle of salty water, but why would you risk it?

• pharma

March 26, 2020 at 8:47 am
    Astonishing that we didn’t already have someone ask for colloidal silver against coronaviruses… there are so incredibly many people out there preaching shit they don’t know anything about and the brainless masses feed out of their hands, it’s scaring!
    I’ve heard from folks using similar bogus and sometimes actually dangerous procedures (with hypochlorous acid or colloidal silver amongst other things) to treat diseases like common cold and even cancer. Fools!
  • em88

March 26, 2020 at 11:11 am

Pharma said:

Astonishing that we didn’t already have someone ask for colloidal silver against coronaviruses… there are so incredibly many people out there preaching shit they don’t know anything about and the brainless masses feed out of their hands, it’s scaring!
    I’ve heard from folks using similar bogus and sometimes actually dangerous procedures (with hypochlorous acid or colloidal silver amongst other things) to treat diseases like common cold and even cancer. Fools!

Stupidity spreads way faster than viruses, and when we are in a pandemic situation it goes off the charts…