Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Compatibility of Carbopol 940 and benzalkonium chloride

• Compatibility of Carbopol 940 and benzalkonium chloride

Posted by Cafe33 on March 20, 2020 at 9:23 pm

The only info I found from Lubrizol only suggests that 0.1% benzalkonium chloride lowers the viscocity of Carbopol 934. Nothing about compatibility. 

benzalkonium chloride is a cationic surfactant and Carbopol is anionic I believe. Will a concentration of 0.13 % still have a negative effect in my formulation? 

I know Guar Gum is usually used (from patents I read) but I need to know if BZK is compatible with Carbopol in small concentrations.

Thank you.

Anonymous replied 3 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • fekher

March 20, 2020 at 11:02 pm

@Cafe33  I guess it is difficult to have stable product as Carbomer is not stable with almost cationic surfactant, may the low level of BZK will lead to stable product. 
    I invite you if you can to do experience and see what it gives  

• Cafe33

March 21, 2020 at 2:43 am

Hi Fekher, I will most likely be doing the experiment but unfortunately I need to purchase 25kg of BZK. It has many uses, possibly as a cleaner in spray form. 

I read a patent about a no rinse surfactant based hand and surface cleaner utilzing BZK. 

It is basically 95% H20, Surfactant, 0.1-1.0% Defoaming agent (many polyquats are listed), BZK in 0.08 - 0.25% and a preservative. I will update here if I decided to purchase and proceed. 

• ozgirl

March 21, 2020 at 10:07 am
    If you are planning on making this product as a method to combat Corona virus. Please DO NOT.
    Benzalkonium chloride has limited activity against this virus.
  • fekher

March 21, 2020 at 11:32 am

@ozgirl thanks for the interesting link which is New for me that IPA should be 70% or more however I readed in other scientific studies that for IPA should be 60% and Ethanol should be 70% so which information is the correct? @Perry @Cafe33 @Gunther @lmosca 

• Cafe33

March 21, 2020 at 7:09 pm

ozgirl, thank you for the information. I am not suggesting it is for Corona virus. I am trying to work with what I have.

I used to sell cases upon cases of BZK wipes to local hospitals when I had a medical supply business. I used it as an alternative to IPA wipes when I needed to take an injection,

So can we agree that BZK is a sanitizing agent, perhaps not for Corona Virus, but perhaps as a replacement for something like Lysol (cleaning surfaces) ?

Wouldn’t something that had a surfactant and required rubbing with a rag clean fairly well? 

I am working with what I have and here people are running out of cleaning supplies and stores are limiting sales. 

• das

March 22, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Sure, but it won’t work with an anionic carbomer. 

Besides, for effectiveness it’s recommended to formulate a mix of surfactants. If you check prospector you will find lots of similar formulas, mainly for hand wash and surface cleaners. 

It’s a good disinfectant, we know it works and it’s cheap, go for it.

@ozgirl sure, but not against this virus. This one hasn’t been tested yet. We are using the information we know of other similar viruses, and the data regarding bzc is contradictory, at least the papers i’ve read. 

• Anonymous

April 30, 2020 at 12:26 pm

I used benzalkonium Chloride and carbopol 940 and colour is milk White. How i can make it cleaner gel? 

• Anonymous

April 30, 2020 at 12:28 pm

This is the colour 

• Anonymous

April 30, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Milk whitr