hand sanitizing gel

how can I formulate hand sanitizing gel without alcohol ,as it isnt found because of corona virus ,I read about h2o2 ,cetrimide ,benzalkonium chloride
which is the best one ?
and how to formulate it ?

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member
    Can you get sugar? Build a still. 1Kg sugar -> 1 Kg ethanol.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Don't formulate a sanitizing gel. Just use soap and water.
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    The problem, Perry, is that we can't carry a bathroom around with us...
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • Cafe33Cafe33 Member
    Yes, I carry 65% Gel with me as well a 70% EtOH spray and rag. I nearly had a panic attack at the grocery store having to handle a cart. 

Look at formulations of benzalkonium chloride wipes. They are interchangeable with Isopropyl Alcohol wipes (for injections etc) I used to sell these when I was a distributor of medical supplies. 
  • BelassiBelassi Member
    I've got a horrible feeling that sooner or later there will be an awful accident involving people carrying raw alcohol as sanitiser.
  • While I agree with @Belassi that you can make your own ethanol using a still, I think I should add that you should always check the laws on distilling alcohol in your country/region first.

Here in British Columbia, it is illegal to distill alcohol without a license, even if you don't plan on selling it. I do believe that this law was passed when a bunch of people died from the methanol that was present in their homemade alcohol.

• RevRev Member
    Hi guys, i hope i am not too late. Im attempting to make the sanitizing gel. Normally for these sort of formulations, what should be the concentration of the gelling agent? I intend to use any of the polyacrylic acid @Perry

• em88em88 Member
    Belassi said:
    The problem, Perry, is that we can't carry a bathroom around with us...
    what about not leaving the house?