Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Off Topic What body wash do you use…. :)

Tagged: 

• What body wash do you use…. :)

Posted by graillotion on March 14, 2020 at 2:03 am

Some day….down the road, when I need my next project, I want to create a body wash.  But that is down the road…maybe a year.  So now is the time to find some of the best body-washes out there, learn their feel and effectiveness, and see their ingredients list.  Was curious what the pro’s use?  I guess I can try 6 or 7 in the next year.
    Would prefer….but open to all….sulfate free.

With hair….the system is two part….cleaning (shampoo), and conditioning (conditioner).  Why is this not the case with body wash….seems like the same concepts would apply?… (Or did I just stumble upon the next great idea?) :) 

Abbass_1 replied 3 years, 11 months ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Gene

March 17, 2020 at 12:12 am

Probably we all just use whatever surfactant based thing is left in our shower from the last project we tested 😂. Also, two steps for showers aren’t very new. There are in-shower lotions meant to use after bodywash that are similar to a hair conditioner. These have been around for over 10 yrs.

• graillotion

March 17, 2020 at 6:58 am

Gene, Thanks for tossing me a comment.

After I posted… I got an email from Tree to tub, offering a FREE bottle of their new body wash….hehehe…I guess that will be the first one I test! :) 

Hehehe….I know about the ‘leftovers’… I think I have a 100 bottles of lotion laying around!

• oldperry

March 17, 2020 at 1:35 pm

I use whatever shampoo I’m using as a body wash. 
    The concept of sulfate free body wash makes no sense to me.

I’m curious, what additional benefit do you think a sulfate-free body wash would give?

• ngarayeva001

March 17, 2020 at 11:26 pm

Irrelevant for professionals who have access to materials, but can you imagine that on the DIY market sodium olefine sulfonate is three times cheaper than SLES? My body wash is sulfate free because it’s cheaper 😂

• ngarayeva001

March 17, 2020 at 11:26 pm

Leave aside it’s very hard even to find SLES

• Cafe33

March 18, 2020 at 12:51 am

ngarayeva001, that is a bizarre… I buy SLES for around 1.40-1.50 USD per kg, And I only need to purchase a kilo. Drums of it are much cheaper. 

I cannot find sodium olefin sulfonate other than from Stepan and Univar and I have to buy drums and it is much more expensive. 

Speaking of expensive, I have been making my first liquid body washes / Shampoos. 

12 % SLSa 
    8% SCI (Jordapon, no stearic acid)
    12 % CAPB (30% Active)
    0.5% Fragrance 

It is impressive how well it thickened without the use of NaCl. 

My next batch will make use of NaCl and maybe adding some Decyl Glucoside, not too impressed with the foaming and adding more SLSa is just too expensive. 

• natzam44

March 18, 2020 at 1:56 am

Here in Canada SLES is also pretty cheap, but so is Olefin sulphonate.

I find SLES to be the better of the two, if only by a thin margin. For a business, SLES would be the better choice because in bulk, it is way cheaper than most of the other surfactants on the market.

• Abbass_1

April 28, 2020 at 12:52 pm

Cafe33 said:

ngarayeva001, that is a bizarre… I buy SLES for around 1.40-1.50 USD per kg, And I only need to purchase a kilo. Drums of it are much cheaper. 

I cannot find sodium olefin sulfonate other than from Stepan and Univar and I have to buy drums and it is much more expensive. 

Speaking of expensive, I have been making my first liquid body washes / Shampoos. 

12 % SLSa 
    8% SCI (Jordapon, no stearic acid)
    12 % CAPB (30% Active)
    0.5% Fragrance 

It is impressive how well it thickened without the use of NaCl. 

My next batch will make use of NaCl and maybe adding some Decyl Glucoside, not too impressed with the foaming and adding more SLSa is just too expensive. 

How did the glucoside formulation turn out?