Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Color and makeup Black small little balls

• Black small little balls

Posted by Mynkcosmo on March 9, 2020 at 7:18 pm

Hello. So I was cleaning a drawer out and found an old blush I had that I haven’t used. When I opened it saw it had these small balls on it. The blush doesn’t smell old and the lil balls are soft but in the 12 years I’ve been doing makeup I haven’t seen this before. So before I throw it away. I was curious on what it was. I hope you can see them in the photo. there around the rim of the blush.

oldperry replied 4 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • belassi

March 10, 2020 at 1:19 am

They might be eggs laid by the Blusher Beetle, which is making a comeback.

• EVchem

March 10, 2020 at 4:52 pm

I have very weak knowledge of microbio, but the fact they only show up at the edges is interesting, I don’t think growth would occur that way (unless the edges are holding more moisture?)

• Mynkcosmo

March 16, 2020 at 11:50 pm

@EVchem it can be but I never even used it and it’s been in a tight place. So I was wondering what they were. Is that a bacteria? Can I still use the blush?

• oldperry

March 17, 2020 at 1:36 pm

I suspect it is the result of a reaction between something in the packaging and the formula.

• Mynkcosmo

March 19, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Thank u. So I should be okay to use? @Perry

• oldperry

March 19, 2020 at 5:47 pm

Use the product? I don’t know. You should probably check it for microbial contamination before you use it. Ideally, you would just throw it away but if you don’t want to, at least check for contamination.