Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating What’s causing this serum to be sticky/tacky?

• What’s causing this serum to be sticky/tacky?

Posted by DeedeeUkulele on March 4, 2020 at 4:02 pm

The serum is very spreadable; a little goes a long way. It takes a while to dry down but when it does, it leaves a sticky finish. If I keep patting my face, the stickiness turns tacky and eventually fades to this dry, film-like sensation. Also, the same tackiness stays on my hands until I wash it off. 

Water
    10% Dimethyl isosorbide
    6% Niacinamide
    5% tranexamic acid
    4% n-acetyl glucosamine
    3% Polysorbate 80
    2% propylene glycol
    1% Jeecide CAP-5
    0.75% Aristoflex AVC
    0.50% Saliguard EHGP
    0.50% allantoin 
    0.50% alpha lipoic acid (from a capsule, to fill in for an ingredient I don’t currently have) 
    0.25% xanthan gum
    0.25% caprylic/Capric triglycerides
    0.10% disodium EDTA 
    0.02% citric acid

DeedeeUkulele replied 4 years ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • DeedeeUkulele

March 5, 2020 at 4:13 am

I forgot to mention the Polysorbate 80 is a solvent for tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane (the ingredient I don’t currently have) @ 1:4. The manufacturer claims it’s partially soluble in Dimethyl isosorbide but since I can’t try it out yet, I’m using Polysorbate 80 for now. 

• bil7

March 5, 2020 at 3:11 pm

Polysorbate 80 will also deactivate propylene glycol ince i readed.
    And the problem to stickness increase capric and  caprylic triglyceride may sort out problem trade name liponate gc .
    Also can be added little peg 75 . Which will dry and make a smooth finish film on the skin and dnt tacky to hands

• ngarayeva001

March 5, 2020 at 3:17 pm

You have too many active ingredients at very high concentrations. Select two main ingredients and add everything else at a very low %

• DeedeeUkulele

March 7, 2020 at 12:35 am

bil7 said:

Polysorbate 80 will also deactivate propylene glycol ince i readed.
    And the problem to stickness increase capric and  caprylic triglyceride may sort out problem trade name liponate gc .
    Also can be added little peg 75 . Which will dry and make a smooth finish film on the skin and dnt tacky to hands

Thanks. I don’t have access to PEG 75 but will try adding some silicones. 

• DeedeeUkulele

March 7, 2020 at 12:40 am

You have too many active ingredients at very high concentrations. Select two main ingredients and add everything else at a very low %

I’d really like to keep the TXA, niacinamide, and NAG combo since they’re found to work synergistically with one another. I did go for the maximum effective %, however. I’ll try lowering the % and see if it makes a difference. Thanks. 

• czkld

March 11, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Hi! Why would you include 4% NAG? I’ve only seen 2% used in clinical studies, so I would think that it would be enough. Adding more is probably just a waste of money (I think)..

• DeedeeUkulele

March 16, 2020 at 2:38 am

You’re right about 2% NAG. I made this for myself and I don’t mind going for higher percentages in small batches. Can’t hurt haha. I’ll be using a 4% Niacinamide+2% NAG combo for selling.