Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Microemulsion

• Sponge

March 2, 2020 at 9:22 pm

A clear emulsion like you’re talking about has a very small particle size. I want to say sub-100 nm but this is just from memory. Find an emulsifier you like that can do this, try it with your formulation, then come back and post the whole formulation so we can help. 

• lmosca

March 3, 2020 at 5:36 am

Anything below 200 nm will have Mie scattering in the UV and thus will be virtually transparent in the visible spectrum. 

It is technically possible to achieve a transparent emulsion without using microemulsion by matching the refractive index of the two phases. This is done, usually, by increasing the refractive index of the water phase, as it is the lowest one. 

• AndrewSeel

March 3, 2020 at 5:10 pm

lmosca said:

Anything below 200 nm will have Mie scattering in the UV and thus will be virtually transparent in the visible spectrum. 

It is technically possible to achieve a transparent emulsion without using microemulsion by matching the refractive index of the two phases. This is done, usually, by increasing the refractive index of the water phase, as it is the lowest one. 

I appreciate your help, I will consider your idea 

• parsimonious9

March 4, 2020 at 10:52 pm

What would be maximum volume fraction of oil that cannot form a microemulsion?