Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Butters….is there really much difference?

• Butters….is there really much difference?

Posted by graillotion on February 22, 2020 at 11:55 pm

Hear me out….hehehe…. I have just recently started making lotions.  They tend to be on the higher quality side, and very natural.  My first lotion used Shea butter…. My second lotion, I am using 75% Murumuru, and 25% Cupuacu.  I dislike greasy feeling lotions (butters).  So since I basically chose these butters off of research, and liked the way they felt…. But did not take the time to buy every butter out there and test it…. Am I overlooking an amazing butter that really stands out as far as skincare?
    I understand that different butters have different melting points and Fatty Acid profiles, but I think that the blend of Muru and Cupuacu, pretty much cover the full spectrum of EFA’s.

graillotion replied 4 years ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Cafe33

February 25, 2020 at 7:12 pm

Mango Butter. I think it is highly under rated. Great skin feel in my opinion

• belassi

February 25, 2020 at 11:39 pm

Kpnangan butter has a high vitamin A content. It’s yellow.

• oldperry

February 28, 2020 at 1:46 pm

If you’re making lotions that are “very natural” then you are not making higher quality lotions. You are making lower quality lotions with a natural story.

The highest quality lotions (in terms of performance and aesthetic characteristics) use petrolatum, mineral oil and other synthetic ingredients to achieve the desired results. Things like butters are best at helping develop a marketing story, not at providing benefits.

In my opinion, one butter is just as good as any other. It shouldn’t be the primary functional ingredient in your formula. 

• maria

March 1, 2020 at 8:37 am

Pritty much for me.  For instance if you have Sal butter in your formula, you cannot ignore its specific 40+% of stearic acid content, so different form other butters.

• graillotion

March 2, 2020 at 7:26 am

maria said:

Pritty much for me.  For instance if you have Sal butter in your formula, you cannot ignore its specific 40+% of stearic acid content, so different form other butters.

Maria, I use some Cupuacu, and it also is high in stearic…. makes for a nice thickener with great label appeal. :)