Mask preservative advice

We're looking at developing a facial mask with a base of dead sea mud. Normally we use phenoxyethanol for a preservative, but are trying to get away from that generally and look at other natural preservatives. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on a mud mask preservative that is not pheno? 

Where we are right now : 

Deionized Water
Aloe Juice
Kaolin
Dead Sea Mud
Glycerine 99.7%
Citric Acid
Bentonite (Sodium)
Phenoxyethanol
Argan Oil
Shea Butter
Jojoba Oil

Comments

• Parabens?
  • Can't do parabens
  • Frankly, I would say that a phenoxyethanol blend would be best if you cant do parabens. Your formula is rich in bug food and I can't see a natural preservative doing the job.
  • Ok great thank you for your input!
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    whatever you use, a mixture of two or more different types will be most effective, particularly as face masks carry a relatively high risk of contamination
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries
  • Bo77Bo77 Member
    If you looking for some "natural" preservatives, it's tricky with clays and muds. But I would try Silverion 2400 ( silver citrate & citric acid) it's highest dose .3 % and maybe some bacillus ferment & saccharomyces ferment filtrate. also in higher percentage , around .3- .5 ish? Of course I can't tell you it will work, you have to test it, but Silverion 2400 is performing very nicely in preservation of creams. Question is if it can perform effectively with bug food. Good luck