Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Possible to emulsify oil in water with a clear output?

Tagged: 

• Possible to emulsify oil in water with a clear output?

Posted by mrlv90 on February 4, 2020 at 5:16 am

Hi Everyone,

I’m in the process of putting together ingredients for a hydrating skin mist that needs to be clear, no cloudy liquid after the mixture phases. 

Is this possible with the ingredients below? I appreciate your time and professional input in advance. 

Phase 1

• Water/Rosewater
    • Glycerin
    • Propanediol

Phase 2

• Polysorbate 20
    • Camellia Seed Oil
    belassi replied 4 years, 1 month ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

February 4, 2020 at 5:48 am

Try it and see. I doubt it.

• mrlv90

February 4, 2020 at 5:53 am

Belassi said:

Always cloudy. Any insight on how this formula is completely clear? I can’t figure it out.

Water/Aqua/Eau, Propanedoil, Glycerin, Glycereth-7 Triacetate, Polysorbate 20, Rosa Rubiginosa Seed Oil, Sodium Levulinate, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Gold (CI 77480), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Limonene, Disodium EDTA, Aroma, Cellulose Gum, Linalool

• EVchem

February 4, 2020 at 2:55 pm

Glycereth-7 Triacetate
     from supplier info (Phoenix Chemical)
    “Two properties that make PELEMOL
    ® G7A indispensable to the cosmetic
    chemist is its total water-solubility and outstanding solvency, having the ability to
    dissolve a variety of cosmetic esters and oils. It also functions as a coupling
    agent in water, solubilizing water-insoluble and marginally soluble esters”

• pharma

February 4, 2020 at 7:42 pm
    It’s likely a matter of concentration. What you need is a micellar emulsion: Use less oil, a loooot less oil.

• Sponge

February 5, 2020 at 1:42 am

It’s the gold! Just kidding. 

I believe this list is similar to Neutrogena’s HydroBoost gel. Perhaps crossing the two lists will help? (Please come back and let us know what you learn.)

• DeedeeUkulele

February 5, 2020 at 5:14 am

mrlv90 said:

Belassi said:

Always cloudy. Any insight on how this formula is completely clear? I can’t figure it out.

Water/Aqua/Eau, Propanedoil, Glycerin, Glycereth-7 Triacetate, Polysorbate 20, Rosa Rubiginosa Seed Oil, Sodium Levulinate, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Gold (CI 77480), Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Limonene, Disodium EDTA, Aroma, Cellulose Gum, Linalool

It can be done. But only because that formula is most likely a microemulsion. Try more Polysorbate 20 and MUCH LESS oil. Probably no more than 1%.

• mrlv90

February 6, 2020 at 12:54 am

Okay, thank you. I’ll be sure to give this a shot. 

In your opinions, if a company is branding their product with an oil that’s less than 1% of the formula…exactly how effective, if effective at all, is the delivery of that ingredient e.g. the oil? 
  • belassi

February 6, 2020 at 5:07 am

Basically you are spraying yourself with water that smells of roses. That’s it.
    Next question, please…