Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cetostearyl Alcohol

• Cetostearyl Alcohol

Posted by chemist77 on November 24, 2013 at 2:02 am

We use Cetostearyl Alcohol so extensively that its almost part of every other emulsion. But I am not sure how many really look at the importance of mix ratio of this material and how important it is to have a a specific ratio for a specific viscosity (subject to other ingredients). There are different grades like 30/70, 70/30 and 60/40, for thick emulsions one has to choose 30/70 (longer carbon chain stearyl alcohol 70%), if the emulsion needs to be softer then 70/30 has to be used and if a medium viscosity is need then you have 60/40 grade. 

Please add if anything I have missed or if any rectification is needed. 
    oldperry replied 10 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • MakingSkincare

November 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks milliachemist.  I used to use a 50/50 version.  I can’t say I’m a fan of stearyl alcohol - I find it waxy and draggy so now I tend to stick with just cetyl instead and use GMS+Peg 100 stearate as my emulsifier.

• chemist77

November 25, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thats a good combo u r using, if u were able to read old posts on this forum then u wud know that cetyl alc emulsions tend to thicken over a period of time. But since u hv a good choice of emulsifier I m sure u hv a fab recipe though if i had to use c16 then i wud add a little ceteareth 12 or 20 to keep the viscosity in check.

• chemist77

November 27, 2013 at 6:38 am

Can I mention cetostearyl alcohol as cetyl alcohol and stearyl alcohol in my ingredient list???????????????? I feel I can but I need to confirm if it is technically allowable???

• oldperry

November 27, 2013 at 7:58 am

Actually, I don’t think Cetostearyl Alcohol is in the INCI Dictionary (I couldn’t find it) so the only proper way to list the ingredient is as Cetyl Alcohol and Stearyl Alcohol.

• microformulation

November 27, 2013 at 9:10 am

I was always under the impression that the proper INCI is “Cetearyl Alcohol.” in VVF’s sell sheets for the Vegarol line they use “Cetearyl alcohol” but go on to state that it is also known as Cetostearyl alcohol.
    In the Vegarol 1618 line they supply it in  30:70, 50:50 and 60:40 blends.

• Ayla

November 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

I use Cetearyl Alcohol as it’s an INCI name.

• oldperry

November 27, 2013 at 10:17 am

You’re right, Cetearyl Alcohol is another way you could list it.