Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Knowde for raw material searches

• EVchem

January 28, 2020 at 11:53 am

I’ve tried using knowde before, it’s not bad but ULpropsector is a lot easier to access literature on. If I have to request every piece of info on a material  it will take too long (by sales standards). Also sometimes I’m just browsing, having to follow up with each rep for a material I just had passing interest in is time consuming.

• oldperry

January 28, 2020 at 1:49 pm

I’ve used knowde a bunch and there are things I like about it. The search display is better than UL Prospector and the search process seems a bit more user friendly.

However, their algorithms are a bit dumb and give erroneous information. For example, I do a search for “preservatives” and it gives back examples like…

Neolipid™ SC Biobarrier - not a preservative
    STEOL® CA-460 - (ammonium lauryl sulfate) - not a preservative

And these are on the first page. If you go to the next page you just find a bunch of surfactants that no one who is looking for a preservative would ever use as a preservative.

The same thing happens with other searches. It’s just a dumb search engine which needs to be smarter to make it useful. 

• chickenskin

January 28, 2020 at 9:01 pm

@Perry

Would you be willing to talk to the founder about your concerns?

• oldperry

January 28, 2020 at 11:45 pm

@chickenskin - Sure. Although I have actually talked to some people over there previously. But that was probably a year or so ago. If they want to connect again, I could do that.

• chickenskin

January 29, 2020 at 7:01 pm

Perry said:

@chickenskin - Sure. Although I have actually talked to some people over there previously. But that was probably a year or so ago. If they want to connect again, I could do that.

Thanks Perry I sent you a PM.