Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin Synthetic fragrance in sun

Tagged: 

• Synthetic fragrance in sun

Posted by devo2 on December 25, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Hi 

if if I am making a natural sunblock with some synthetic fragrance , with the ingredients listed below,

1. Does any of the flowing pose a danger if exposed to sun on the face for instance?
    2. Where can I find or how much of the fragrance is added to my oil product in ratio perhaps? (I might have added too much first time!)

INCI LISTING
    COUMARIN
    GAMMA NONALACTONE DODECANAL
    NERAL
    GERANIAL
    GAMMA UNDECALACTONE BENZYL ALCOHOL

thank you ?

devo2 replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Agate

December 31, 2019 at 6:49 am
    None of those rang a bell for me as being photosensitizing/phototoxic, but I searched each of them in combination with the keyword photo* and came up with nothing. Obviously this is ultimately up to your safety assessor to decide.
    Since you’re saying natural sunscreen, I’m assuming you are probably looking to use zinc oxide, so I would highly recommend reading this if you haven’t already: https://realizebeauty.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/the-trouble-with-making-your-own-sunscreen/ Essentially, it’s very difficult to formulate a reliable sunscreen with zinc oxide. It’s not impossible obviously, but it’s not as simple as just mixing some zinc oxide into any base.
  • oldperry

December 31, 2019 at 2:01 pm

Also, Zinc Oxide is not natural. According to regulations, all the zinc oxide available for formulating is synthetically produced.

• devo2

December 31, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Thank you @Agate, @Perry. Seems that in South Africa regulations are not that strict. Not like in the USA anyway. Our health shops stock many, many of these sunscreens. Interesting article.

• devo2

January 1, 2020 at 10:57 am

Also I wonder how all the surfers that used Zinc Oxide for years and still do seem to do ok. From what I understand is that they use it by itself, not dispersed with/ in any other carrier oils.