Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Kaolin Mask

• Kaolin Mask

Posted by chemist77 on January 8, 2014 at 4:28 am

I have a kaolin clay mask formula, it has fatty alcohols, ethoxylated fatty alcohol, mineral oil, preservatives and fragrance with colorants. Its a bare minimum formula but holds good in viscosity as kaolin is around 20% and I am not using any other filler. My question is that why does the viscosity drop down after the addition of TiO2, I tried to jack up the viscosity by eliminating the ethoxylated fatty alcohol but to no avail. Is it the charge of TiO2 that is interfering with the viscosity??? Or I have to adjust the pH which is standard to TiO2 containing formulas, my pH hovers around 6.5 but definitely below 7. I have used a Sodium CMC as well for a thin film formation to provide a film platform for kaolin to have a uniform application. Any comments would be appreciated.

Anonymous replied 10 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • vitalys

January 8, 2014 at 7:09 am

Hello milliachemist,

I’m not sure if it helps in your musings, but just a hint that could lead to the answer. As far as I know during the Kaolin manufavturing, they make this clay clean by eliminating any traces of Fe and Ti oxides. It makes its quality the best.

• chemist77

January 8, 2014 at 7:46 am

Wow meaning I am going back to the impure form  :) and complaining about the viscosity drop-down. I suppose your statement amounts to what I understood. 

• bobzchemist

January 9, 2014 at 10:37 am

I suspect that you are introducing some electrolytes with your TiO2. Is it coated?

• chemist77

January 9, 2014 at 10:47 am

@Robert no its a normal grade without any coating. I suspected ceteareth-20 but even after complete elimination its the same.

• bobzchemist

January 9, 2014 at 12:59 pm

OK, then I’m going with 2 possible theories:

1) The TiO2 is acting as a deflocculant, as if you’d added surfactant. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deflocculant

2) If you look up how bentonite gels develop viscosity, you’ll see descriptions of the “house-of-cards” structure. This happens when particle sides are able to loosely bond with sites on the particle top and bottom. The TiO2 may be interfering with this type of structure.
    Can you try a hydrophobic TiO2?
  • chemist77

January 9, 2014 at 6:23 pm

@Robert I guess your second theory applies here, would try the coated one and see if it holds the viscosity. Thanks again for your valuable input.

• davidw

January 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm

I don’t have an answer for you but it just so happens I am trying to develop a mask for a customer now.  It has Kaolin and bentonite.  Not sure what the final percentage of each will be.  Trying to duplicate one that as it dries the color turns white and you feel tightening on the skin.

• chemist77

January 21, 2014 at 2:12 pm

@DavidW I am gonna try the same combo, waiting for the samples to arrive.

• Anonymous

January 31, 2014 at 5:37 am

IT WANTS INCREASING THE BINDER, U CAN USE 0.5% OF VEGUM ULTRA.TRY IT