Oil Free Claims

Hello,
I have seen many product with the term "Oil Free" which is obviously a marketing term. My question is what do they consider as "oil"? 

Would something like PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil still be considered an oil?

Thanks

Comments

• MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Since "Oil-Free" is a marketing term, it can mean anything you want ... obviously, if the INCI has the word "Oil" in it, you would think it would be ironic to list this on the LOI and still claim "Oil-Free"

The real question is:  Who is the "they" you are referring to?  You can determine for yourself what you consider to be an oil.    
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • If you are asking about a general trend, oil free usually assumes the product (moisturizer?) is made with light dry-feel esters, rather than veg/synthetic oils. Could also be cyclomethicone (oil free foundation). It’s not scientific obviously.
  • @MarkBroussard
    @ngarayeva001
    Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I now have an idea of the vague constraints which I will have to work within. 
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Yeah, pretty much avoid any ingredient with the term "oil" in it. You would be hard-pressed to convince consumers your product is oil free when it has an ingredient with the word Oil in it. And some beauty blogger/influencer would likely call you out on it.

People have a hard time convincing consumers their products are "alcohol free" (ethanol) when including an ingredient like Cetyl Alcohol.
  • Oil free is great as long as ‘natural’ isn’t an issue. Esters don’t have the word oil in the INCI.
  • ozgirlozgirl Member, PCF student
    @Perry We refer our customers to this FDA website https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-labeling-claims/alcohol-free to help them understand how our alcohol free deodorant containing cetearyl alcohol is considered alcohol free.

• Can paraffin or PG considered as oil?
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    edited December 4
    Quite seriously ... If the INCI does not have the word "Oil" in it then you can "marketing claim" that it is not an oil.  But, No, neither Paraffin or PG are considered oils.
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • Funny enough, some beauty bloggers confuse PG with oil and they spread this misconception. It probably feels "oily" to them for the lack of understanding of what glycols are. I am talking about things like the ordinary's 3% ferulic acid and 3% resveratrol in PG (three ingredients). Heard that several times. It comes in a context that one must apply waterbased serums before oil-based serums.
  • I just imagined an oil-free product with hydrocarbons like squalane. So oil-free :)
  • I’ve seen “oil-free” products lately that include shea butter in their ingredients lists. I guess a butter isn’t an oil......