Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Does the CAPB supplied by most vendors have salt?

• Does the CAPB supplied by most vendors have salt?

Posted by Aanchal on November 19, 2019 at 8:38 am

I was plotting the salt curve again when I introduced a new brand of CAPB in my formulation. I understand that it has taken my salt curve to rise much earlier than it used to be before (with a different brand CAPB.)

Say earlier if I needed 1% salt,  now I will need around .5 %. 

Is it possible that CAPB have such amount of salt? 

Note that I used only 2.5% of 28% CAPB.  That is, roughly 0.9% active CAPB.

Aanchal replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

November 19, 2019 at 12:25 pm

CAPB has salt and it’s a great thickener for traditional surfactants systems. Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate has even more salt and if you would use it with SLES you probably won’t need any extra salt to thicken the product.

• Aanchal

November 19, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Thanks @ngarayeva001 

So percentage of salt in CAPB varies accross vendors but every sample will surely have it?

That means I must plot a salt curve when I change my vendor? 

• oldperry

November 19, 2019 at 6:33 pm

@Aanchal - For sure. If you change vendors for any ingredient you should expect there will be some changes in your formulation. Most cosmetic ingredients are different in small ways even if they have the same INCI name. 

We once swapped vendors for our SLES and had to do stability and other testing on over 15 SKUs of VO5 shampoo. And there were differences.

• Aanchal

November 20, 2019 at 4:17 am

Thanks @Perry.

Glad to have such information from your experience. I once changed the dye, and it made the solution turbid. I switched to the old dye brand then. 

Thank you  !