Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Lab safety + equipment

• Lab safety + equipment

Posted by DeedeeUkulele on November 10, 2019 at 8:25 am

I’ve set up a little lab at home. Nothing fancy, but I still wish to keep things as professional as possible, safety-wise.

I’ve purchased nitrile gloves, N95 masks, safety goggles, and a lab coat. However, I can’t find any resources online (this forum, Swift’s blog, Making Skincare blog, Google) particularly referring to safety and clean up.

E.g. Will SCI powder settle everywhere? How do I prevent this/clean up the surroundings? Is there a correct way of circulating air? 

Maybe I’m just not using the right keywords? Can anyone pls point me to some info/books on this topic or give advice on the matter? 

DeedeeUkulele replied 4 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • oldperry

November 11, 2019 at 6:12 am

If you’re working with powders and worrying about it, you might get a portable lab fume hood. Then you can weigh your powders in there.  But typically, you don’t have to worry much about powders if you are measuring a small amount and you have good ventilation in the room you’re working in.

• DeedeeUkulele

November 11, 2019 at 9:45 am

Perry said:

If you’re working with powders and worrying about it, you might get a portable lab fume hood. Then you can weigh your powders in there.  But typically, you don’t have to worry much about powders if you are measuring a small amount and you have good ventilation in the room you’re working in.

Thanks for the suggestion, Perry! I’ll look into the lab fume hood.

The setup used to be in a walled-in corner of the library with a window at the opposite end of the room. I moved the entire setup by the window (with blackout curtains to protect light-sensitive materials when not in use) and plan to put up a little fan blowing out. As a professional, do you foresee any problems with having the lab by a window?