Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating On dissolving Ascorbyl palmitate

Tagged: 

• On dissolving Ascorbyl palmitate

Posted by Majman on November 5, 2019 at 9:37 am

Who has had experience with dissolving Ascorbyl palmitate? Like aside ethanol, what else would work? I tried dissolving in oil since it is said to be oil soluble and it ended up looking like a thick paste and had to add polysorbate 80 to blend with my water phase product 

Majman replied 4 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • belassi

November 5, 2019 at 4:01 pm

No problem with it, just add to the oil phase.

• Majman

November 5, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Thanks sir 

• pharma

November 5, 2019 at 5:25 pm

You could make sodium or potassium salt from it and that use as anionic emulsifier which spontaneously forms micelles above ~35-40°C.

• markbroussard

November 5, 2019 at 8:59 pm

You’ll have to get the oil temperature up to 110C or so for it all to dissolve … it has a quite high melting point.  Generally best if you first heat up the oil phase and then drizzle in the Ascorbyl Phosphate in small aliquots while stirring and it will go right into solution.

• EVchem

November 6, 2019 at 3:55 pm

@Pharma I very vaguely recalled hearing ascorbyl phosphate could be an emulsifier- just missing the fact it had to be a salt! Thank you

However I only found this paper, the abstract doesn’t make it look super promising since it still is not very water soluble. Have you ever prepared any emulsions with this?

• pharma

November 6, 2019 at 5:10 pm

@EVchem ascorbyl palmitate, not phosphate ;) . ‘t was a typo by @MarkBroussard.

• EVchem

November 6, 2019 at 6:03 pm

@Pharma oops monkey see monkey continues the typo- but the paper I found is actually for the palmitate salt that is what I had in mind.

• markbroussard

November 6, 2019 at 6:43 pm

Damned autocorrect!

• pharma

November 6, 2019 at 8:39 pm

EVchem said:

…Have you ever prepared any emulsions with this?

Yes, during my PhD. More precisely a micellar solution, see THIS publication, section ‘Measurement of IL-1β maturation and secretion’.
    Very easy to prepare since it’s self-forming mixed micelles. Emulsions (= same principle but way higher %) which I tried at home weren’t very nice, though ;( .
    Best way to turn ascorbyl palmitate into its salt is by dissolution in methanol or ethanol, followed by neutralisation with NaOH or KOH, and finally evaporation of the alcohol. Micelles can be prepared without evaporation since the amount of alcohol is comparatively small, emulsions however…
  • Majman

December 1, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Thanks guys ,so heating the oil won’t degrade the vitamin c?