Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Melting and Mixing Jordapon CI Prill

• Melting and Mixing Jordapon CI Prill

Posted by Cafe33 on October 28, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Hi, I am a first time poster yet long time lurker. I attempted to melt some SCI prills (w/ CAPB) in a beaker immersed in a boiling water bath. I was following suggestions by Swift.

I do not understand how this could be a viable method. The melting point info for this compound does not seem to be readily available. The source with the lowest melting listed is in the 150C range. Mixing by hand (Teflon paddle) seemed incomplete. I was left with small sharp pieces in what resembled a goo. 

I was thinking of heating CAPB (mp  in a beaker on a hot plate under overhead mixing (gentle). I would bring the Temperature up to 90 C or so and maintain it while gradually adding the prills. I know the CAPB is diluted with water. 

Either way, what is the best method for melting the prills in larger amounts (multiple kilos) ? How is it done in industry? I am making Syndet Shampoo bars. 

Thanks

ngarayeva001 replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

October 29, 2019 at 8:29 pm

@Cafe33, I feel your pain. There are different types of SCI and most of them are absolutely impossible to melt. CAPB will start boiling earlier than SCI gets even slightly soft. You have more chances with Iselux if you insist on melting it (Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate sold here: https://www.aliacura.de/produkte/tenside/sodium-lauroyl-methyl-isethionate/#cc-m-product-8097631576)

I make swift’s shampoo bars with SCI. I don’t melt anything and just mix it with my hand (in a glove) like a dough. It takes a week to harden and works fine.

• ngarayeva001

October 29, 2019 at 8:34 pm

Swift’s conditioning shampoo bar formula (with hydrolysed proteins and BTMS). You can see BTMS crumbs in this batch, but it’s my bad, I used BTMS-80 which is also impossible to melt. It looks better with 50.

• Cafe33

October 29, 2019 at 10:43 pm

Hi ngarayeva001, thanks for your response. I have tried a second test batch using the SCI powder instead of the prills. It gave a much more uniform mix and was easier to work with as I did not have to melt it. I will be attempting several different techniques for shaping the bars. I find that they are difficult to shape evenly using silicone mold.

I have a bath bomb press, I am wondering if I could press the shampoo bar with SLSa?

• ngarayeva001

October 29, 2019 at 11:46 pm

I guess if it’s dry enough it should work. I agree they are not perfectly even which you can see on my picture.