Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating oat milk in shampoo, conditioner

• oat milk in shampoo, conditioner

Posted by margi on October 10, 2019 at 12:41 pm

i just found out that i can use oats in for eksample shampoos/conditioners.
    they have allot of good nutritions, omega 6, vitamin b, among others. 
    And also is using the oat milk what im suposed to do. 

But i would like to know if it might actually work or if its just a “scam”.

margi replied 4 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Zaf

October 10, 2019 at 3:37 pm
    I think theoretically you’ll get some of the nutrients with an oat milk, but the issue might mostly be how it’s processed.
    So… I did some fair research on colloidal oat - the concept being here that for the soothing and humuclant properties you need the Bran - so the whole oat. Since colloidal oat is a giant pain in the butt to make I’m going with oat milk in my cream recipe. What I’ve done is basically grind the heck out of whole oat “groats”, put it in hot water and mix/dissolve and strain (or skim off the top, avoiding the sedement at the bottom cus gritt). I’m using a strainer that’s only about 100-75 micron and I squeeze the heck out of the mixture - because it’s not a smaller mesh my assumption is that some of these properties will come through — in that if you make say, a celery juice this way, some of the chlorophyll comes through with squeezing through the strainer.
    Oat is a great food also for bacteria and fungus - some people have suggested adding a preservative directly to the oat extract for this reason.
    I don’t know if any of that helps. I’m not a chemist. I’m sure they’ll be around to help.
  • margi

October 10, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Thank you. Zaf
    yes it help. i was a little worried that by “deluting”(i dont know if this would be te right word or not,but i hope you understand wat i mean) the oat in water i would get rid of some of the nutritions. so thank you again.

• Zaf

October 10, 2019 at 5:11 pm
    I worried about that too but it looks like there’s products on the market using oat extract for the same purpose of colloidal oat. I am trying to make it as thick as possible - I came out with something that ended up about as thick as a simple syrup (once totally cooled). That’d be about how much water to oat you use and the time steeping (I did approximately 50/50 water/oat but a quick steep since I didn’t need longer with hot water). I did hot water to make it easy on myself since I’m heating and holding the water phase to reduce bacteria. You can also try essentially cold-brewing the oat milk but I’m not sure how well that’ll extract (they do something similar with almond milk but it involves soaking the almonds overnight then rinsing, blending, and straining - but this is to soften the almonds so they’re easier to juice - since oats are so much smaller (and indeed with grinding to a powder) they should extract easier in cold water).
    Not sure how much of oats components are effected by heat - pretty sure there are some saponins and polyphenols in there… at least the polyphenols would likely be destroyed with heating. I think the saponins should be fine which might be offering the skin protectant properties people are looking for.
  • oldperry

October 10, 2019 at 5:59 pm

You will get no measurable effect from using oats in shampoo.  At best, you’ll get a moisturizing effect when used in conditioner. It is a gimmick, marketing ingredient. Not something that serious formulators would rely on to show an effect.

• margi

October 12, 2019 at 10:19 am

appriciate it.
    Zaf