Natural alternative

Greetings cosmetic fellows

I'm developing some natural and vegan cosmetics, then I need natural/vegan alternatives to my formulations. 
Recently I'm having some problems with pH on my facial cosmetics, most of them has acid pH what harms the eyes area, so I need something like Triethanolamine(what is made from petroleum) to rise pH at least for a basic level. 

Can you help me?

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    You'll need to give a complete list of ingredients in your formula to get any useful advice.
  • Perry said:
    You'll need to give a complete list of ingredients in your formula to get any useful advice.

I can't list it all. I'm looking for something witch has almost the same effect on pH as TEA.  
  • crillzcrillz Member
    Probably wrong on both accounts of natural and ph adjusting but tromethamine rings a bell. 
  • EVchemEVchem Member
    @r3lax3d - don't worry, nobody wants to steal your 'natural' formula. Without knowing what you have that is causing acidity it's hard to know if the base will have any incompatibilities. 

So that said, you could try niacinamide. It's certainly not a strong base so it may not raise pH enough.

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Arginine.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    Arginine.
    Unfortunately, most sold arginine is arginine HCl or other salts tough several suppliers don't mention that or only on the small prints on the back side of the package. Haven't found a source for small quantities of free base ;( . Apart from that, arginine is a very good and, for an organic molecule, pretty strong base (actually the strongest one nature has to offer).
  • EVchemEVchem Member
    @Pharma ; it's hard to find good quality but  several supplement supply stores have it. We've bought  from here before, they  provide  a COA at least

• Pharma said:
    Arginine.
    Unfortunately, most sold arginine is arginine HCl 
    Arginine base is available, but it is produced in smaller quantities and you must specify arginine base from your supplier - otherwise, as you say, they will supply arginine HCl. 
  • PharmaPharma Member, Pharmacist
    Thanks @EVchem !
  • You need ‘natural’ version of TEA, is that your question? Have you considered simple NaOH?