Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Formulation Issues and new alternative

• Formulation Issues and new alternative

Posted by Portela on October 8, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Greetings mates

I have a question about creams: for 3 months I made some creams(a bunch of them, actually) and I’ve tried so many formulations but just one solved my problem(in parts) because there’s so much emulsifiers and just with all of these I can make a cream with good texture (better than the other ones). The question is: how can I make a smooth and nice facial cream without(or just with two ou less options) Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol and Cetostearyl Alcohol?

Portela replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • crillz

October 9, 2019 at 12:24 am

I believe only the glyceryl stearate is an emulsifier here. The other 3 are thickeners that I’d use at 2-3 percent. I’d probs use another emulsifier and use the glyceryl stearate as a co-emulsifier even. Since I’m pretty sure you’re after natural if you have glycerin and xanthan gum id use that to add stability also. 

• Portela

October 9, 2019 at 2:42 am

crillz said:

I believe only the glyceryl stearate is an emulsifier here. The other 3 are thickeners that I’d use at 2-3 percent. I’d probs use another emulsifier and use the glyceryl stearate as a co-emulsifier even. Since I’m pretty sure you’re after natural if you have glycerin and xanthan gum id use that to add stability also. 

I’m afraid that Xantham Gum could give same slimy texture as Guar Gum. But can it make my cream thick rather than mousse like?