Aqueous Hair Powder

Has anyone ever had any success in using Evonik's "dry water technology" in producing a hair styling powder? The gist of it is using their hydrophobic silica grades to prevent the re-coalesence of water droplets, thereby turning your water (with PVP or similar dissolved in) into a powder. Trouble is I can't seem to make it work, even following their formulations exactly. I think the problem may be the level of shear required, but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Don't attempt it without a real lab homogenizer such as a Silverson or in manufacturing an in-line homogenizer. I did several products with that technology, including a Powder to Cream self-tanner. It can be tricky by Evonik offers a great deal of technical support in their documentation.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • @Microformulation

Thanks! I have a silverson in the lab, but my issue has been in preventing the silica pluming out of the top of an open beaker - did you make/buy some sort of lid that the supports and rotating axle could fit through.

In manufacturing our vessel is fitted with a rotor/stator type homogeniser - do you know if this would be sufficient or is an in-line homogeniser essential? 

I've tried to get in touch with Evonik about this - haven't heard back yet, but good to know they offer a lot of technical support.
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    The Rotor/stator will do the trick on the floor. I once saw a plant try to hit it as hard as they could with Lightnin' Mixers with no luck.

It was a while ago, but I believe that we added some of the fluid to create a slurry before homogenizing the final product. You are absolutely right. I had a Lab Tech hit it dry with a silverson. She was cleaning for a long time to get it all.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Thanks very much - I'll give the slurry technique a try!
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    in my experience a coffee grinder works well on the lab scale
    on an industrial scale an airtight high-speed mixer, e.g. a Robot Coupé Blixer or similar, should give good results
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries