Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Tretinoin solubility issue

Tagged: ,

• Tretinoin solubility issue

Posted by jessah on October 8, 2019 at 8:14 am

Hi everyone, Can anyone give me some advise/suggestions regarding this: Tretinoin 0.1% & Minoxidil 5% Foam me and my team already did some experiments regarding this foam.. everything was fine except that the Tretinoin is not mixing together with the minoxidil mixture, we set aside the mixture for the whole night the next day there’s a separation of tretinoin. we cannot add more quantity of alcohol because it wont form into foam. so we are having difficulty in the solubility of the tretinoin..  here are the trials we made: 1st trial: we made tretinoin stock solution composed of PG, ETOH and transcutol.. after more than an hour of mixing tretinoin dissolved.., but then when we added it to the minoxidil mixture, its not mixing together and theres a separation and also it didnt formed into foam because we used alot of alcohol in the stock solution. 2nd trial: we directly tried to dissolve the tretinoin using ETOH only, again it didnt dissolve because we only used small quantity of ETOH..end result it formed foam which is great but then you can see the separation of tretinoin. so please can someone help, it would be great. Thank you so much

jessah replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • amitvedakar

October 9, 2019 at 7:52 am

Try IPA to dissolve tretinoin.

• jessah

October 9, 2019 at 12:04 pm

i tried with IPA but the same result