Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating EMULSIFICATION STRENGTH OF ANY EMULSIFIER

• EMULSIFICATION STRENGTH OF ANY EMULSIFIER

Posted by UsmanAli on September 26, 2019 at 5:33 am

how can we check emulsification strength of any emulsifier 
    how can we guess which emulsifier is stronger thn other emulsifier

oldperry replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

September 26, 2019 at 1:56 pm

@UsmanAli, it’s a really good question but I am afraid there is no simple answer. It is impossible to measure because emulsifier is not the only variable in this equation. Stability depends, on droplets size (the smaller is better), on the polarity of materials used and many other factors. So figuring out whether the emulsion is going to be stable is a matter of trial and error.

To make your life at least a little easier, I can tell you that Arlacel 165 (Glyceryl Stearate/PEG-100 stearate) is a very versatile O/W emulsifier used a lot by the industry. I often see it mixed with Ceteareth-20, and/or polymeric emulsifiers.

• oldperry

September 26, 2019 at 10:01 pm

What do you mean by emulsification strength?

What characteristic would you measure that would show one emulsifier is “stronger” than another?

• Sponge

September 28, 2019 at 9:33 pm

Can I throw in my answer to your question, Perry?
    Is there a means of measuring how much oil a given amount of emulsifier (say 1g) can emulsify? 
    Also, when I think strength, I think tenacity of the emulsion. Is there any way to predict that if we’re talking about emulsion duration/time until failure?

• oldperry

September 28, 2019 at 11:09 pm

Yes, you can through in your answer.

I would say that the amount of oil that an emulsifier can emulsify depends on not only the chemical properties of the emulsifier/oil but also on the manufacturing procedure.

The way to predict emulsion duration/time is through stability testing.