Sprayable Gels

hishine1hishine1 Member
edited October 2014 in Formulating
Hi All

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right materials for a sprayable gel, mostly as I dont have a ton of ingredients to trial here for myself.  Again this is probably very simple and there is something easy to find, just a bit confused with so many blends available.
I need a sprayable gel that can hold a fair amount of pigment and around 10% oil. I dont need a fixative but would like a certain amount of film forming as I need it to sit on the hair with a bit of playtime before drying.  Atm I only have anhydrous pigment dispersions to work with.

Do I go the cellulose or carbomer route?

Comments

• I doubt carbomer or cellulose would be good options for pigment and 10% oil. 

Now, I haven't tested any of these but Symrise has an emulsifier for sprayable sunscreens. So does BASF and Croda (and I'm sure many others). Maybe that would work for your application.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    @hishine, are you restricted by VOC regulations? A water-based gel emulsion will probably take too long to dry for most consumers.

Also, what kind of product are you trying to make? 10% oil sounds like it would be very greasy...
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • MicroformulationMicroformulation Member, Professional Chemist
    Not knowing what is being made I will throw out the Versagel line as well.
    markfuller@microformulation.com Microformulation.com Microformulation Cosmetic Consulting provides Custom Formulations for both large Commercial accounts as well as smaller entrepreneurs. We can provide Naturally compliant Formulations under the NSF, NPA, Whole Foods and USDA Organic Certifications. BS.Pharm Albany College of Pharmacy, Union University.
  • Thanks guys.

Difficult for me to describe the exact product, but a basic color enhancing spray shine.  I need hi gloss, much like a volatile silicone hair glosser, which is why the high oil content. I should have said ester/silicone perhaps as the oil content.

@Bobzchemist yes, VOC restricted. I'm just looking at a microsprayer atm. 

It could well be a liquid spray, but as a gel would be novel and also I thought it may be more economical. Not able to find a similar starting formulation so I'm behind the 8 ball already.

Oops, sorry - since we don't have an abbreviation list up yet, HIP = High Internal Phase, which describes either a W/O (Water in Oil) or an O/W (Oil in Water) emulsion where the discontinuous phase is much higher than usual.