Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Magnesium/MSM Cream - Preservatives & pH?

• Magnesium/MSM Cream - Preservatives & pH?

Posted by Zaf on August 20, 2019 at 10:19 pm
    Hey everybody. I’m working on this thing that’s completely gotten away with itself and I was hoping that someone might be able to look over what I’m doing and give me some pointers. I’ve done an enormous amount of research and the ingredient list has gotten quite large, so I apologize.
    INCI: Theobroma Grandiflorum Seed Butter, Aqua, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil, Shorea Robusta Seed Butter, Vitus vinifera seed oil, Magnesium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, MethylSulfonylMethane, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil, Nymphaea caerulea Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Avena Sativa kernel flour, Bambusa Arundinacea stem powder, Persea Gratissima Oil, Cannabis Sativa seed Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides berry Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Thocopherol, Cholecalciferol
    Wax:
    2 Tbsp - Sal Butter
    2 tsp - White Lotus Floral Wax
    1 1/2 tsp - Jojoba Oil
    3/4 tsp - Avocado Oil
    1/2 tsp - Hemp Seed Oil
    1 Tbsp - Non-Nano Zinc Oxide
    Water:
    2 Tbsp - Purified Water
    1 Tbsp - Magnesium Chloride
    1 Tbsp - OptiMSM
    1 tsp - Colloidal Oat
    Base:
    4 Tbsp - Cupuacu Butter
    3 Tbsp - Unfiltered Olive Oil
    2 1/2 Tbsp - Grapeseed Oil
    1/2 tsp - Vitamin E Oil (T-50)
    1/2 tsp - Vitamin D3 Oil (in Olive Oil)
    1/4 tsp - Vitamin C (Ascorbyl Palmitate)
    1/4 tsp - Sea Buckthorn Berry Oil
    1 tsp - Aloe Vera Juice Powder
    1 tsp - Bamboo Extract Powder
    - Wax and Sal butter (which is much like cocoa butter) is melted, then other ingredients added.
    - Water heated, minerals added to dissolved, add to wax in blender, add oat, blend till smooth.
    - All butter ingredients (Cupuacu is much like Shea) go into a standing mixer, mixed till incorporated, emulsion added slowly and mixed on medium speed so butter doesn’t get grainy.
    Here’s my question:
    I know that OptiMSM can be used as a preservative. It sounded to me like 10% is the minimum for this purpose (and ideally higher?). The current recipe has it at 5%. It sounded like this is not sufficient… it’s being used in cultures, but my question is this: is it used in cultures because it discourages other microbes/ect so that the viruses they’re growing (flu?) have a better chance at growing? Hence still having some microbial action?
    As for the water portion of the emulsion, it comprises a much less significant quantity (about 10%)… and thus, by using some hurdle technology (low water content, other perishables suspended in the oil portion of the emulsion, additional salts via magnesium chloride) would maybe be sufficient preservative to keep for at minimum six months in less than ideal conditions (left in a car, kept on one’s person in the heat, ect)?
    The first batch of this I made did not include the oat, but had the aloe in the water portion. It has not grown mold as to yet. As a test, I left them empty container (which obviously has a thin coating of the cream) in my car. I made it about a month ago, and there hasn’t been any signs of spoilage (but I not regret that experiment… it’s a 4oz canning jar, so airtight).
    I had also used magnesium sulfate for the magnesium component - I understand that both MSM and Magnesium Sulfate contain a sulfur component that acts to preserve the water portion.
    I was also looking at adding a probiotic and was wondering if that would boost it’s “shelf-life”, or if it would be a better choice to add something like AMTicide, thin it out (with liquid oil), and throw it in a pump bottle?
    I don’t really want to add more water to increase the MSM content and not sure that it and the magnesium will totally dissolve and not separate out when added to the oil (and turn grainy) if I push the quantities too high.
    I am considering adding Tumeric EO (Co2 extraction) to the mix but I’d like to keep it to 1% to avoid irritation since I formulated this for use with Psoriasis, which tends to sting like the dickens.
    Furthermore: how the heck do I even test something thick for PH? Could a fruit juice powder or freeze dried fruit powder effectively lower the PH without having to add pure citric acid/ect, or perhaps an Orange EO? And does it matter that much in a topical (I do understand the acid mantle is a thing)?
    Sorry for the novel. At least it’s thorough?
    Thank you so much for any help you can offer!
    Zaf replied 4 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 44 Replies
  • 44 Replies
  • Zaf

August 20, 2019 at 10:45 pm

I’d like to apologize for all the grammatical errors… I typed this on my phone and Swype hates me. ?

• Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 5:11 am
    I am aware that I made some mistakes as well:
    The Vitamin C will have to be added to the heated oil portion it sounds like to get it to mix.
    Sorry I’m a total newb. I started with anhydrous formulations but the concept of adding magnesium to my butters was just too good to pass up. It’s exploded from there (with the addition of bamboo and changing up some of the oil/mineral types).
    I’m trying to build something with a whole lot of anti-inflammatory properties and the main importance is that everything is as non-irritating as possible since psoriasis compromises the skin barrier (think papercuts, extremely sensitive)… and of course, I don’t want it to mold!
    I also wonder if going back to magnesium sulfate with the MSM would add enough sulfur to do the job?
    I’m willing to change up the formulation and ingredient for less spoilage. I recognize that it’s probably WAY TOO ALKALINE. I do think I would like to keep it closer to 6pH rather than dropping down to 5pH. I recognize that this would open up my options for preservatives as well. I have no idea how to calculate it off-hand without testing it to get an idea of where I’m starting and how much it’ll have to drop to be more friendly to the skin barrier - especially with two components that would draw all the ingredients deeper into the skin.
  • pharma

August 21, 2019 at 8:30 am

Zaf said:

Water:
    2 Tbsp - Purified Water
    1 Tbsp - Magnesium Chloride
    1 Tbsp - OptiMSM

First: Please don’t use “spoons” as a measure! For example, rough salts have a different weight than finely ground salts. Hence, if you’re posting here, re-calculate in grams and you’ll get better answers!
    Second: Approximately 1 part water to 1 part MgCl2 & MSM drops water activity to a level where nothing will grow; adding more water to be able to add more MSM doesn’t make a difference because the oil phase doesn’t count. Using MgCl2 (but not MgSO4) will also drop relative humidity in the headspace to ~35% and that is enough to stop fungal growth there. A 30% solution of magnesium chloride is self-preserving and doesn’t require additional preservatives. But this is true for pure MgCl2 solutions and not necessarily mixtures such as yours.
    Sulfur from MSM and sulfate doesn’t impart any preservative action. Salts and MSM simply drop the free water proportion by being solutes and that’s it. One hurdle and one hurdle only (a good one, I have to admit that).
    Your formula might still not be stable since you have no emulsifier in it and this might result in small droplets of purer water forming somewhere and then, you’d risk having microbial growth there. At least consider adding something that weakens or even kills microbes and don’t just rely solely on water activity which simply stops them from proliferating but not from existing.
    I don’t know what you mean with “MSM is used in cultures” and what’s that thing with “growing viruses/flu” (flu doesn’t grow in a cosmetic product)?
    pH in your water phase is something you can neglect here since it only reflects the pH of plant extracts and probably ascorbyl palmitate. It’s a small proportion and skin pH will automatically adjust shortly after applying your cream. Having it acidic will be good for preservation but you can’t really determine pH in your mix. Even just measuring pH of your water phase (plus the plant extracts) will be off (too concentrated solution) -> you will have to dilute with pure water to get a better idea of the “true” pH.
  • markbroussard

August 21, 2019 at 10:15 am

@Zaf:

You have chosen perhaps one of the most difficult creams to make … not a good place to start for a beginner.

I’ve developed a few MgCl creams and they are not easy formulas.  As regards pH … the pH of a 30% MgCl solution is 4.0.  You have a pH incompatability between the MgCl and ZnO which is most stable at a pH of 7.0.  So, you’d best ditch the ZnO.

Your biggest problem is that you don’t have an emulsifier.  You’ll need to mix your waxes and oils together with an emulsifier(s) and a touch of water to form the cream.  You might try Glyceryl Stearate and Glyceryl Oleate.  Once the cream is formed and completely cooled down to room temperature, slowly add the MgCl solution in small aliquots and mix in.  Then add a bit more and mix in.  Keep doing this until you have added all of the MgCl solution.

MgCl readily breaks emulsions which is why you must add it to a cold cream and in small increments at a time.  The cooled cream will be crazy thick and even after you add the MgCl solution it’s going to be “lumpy” so you’ll want to process it further to create a “smooth” cream.

Your next biggest problem is some confusion as to what is and what is not a proper preservative.

• Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 3:52 pm
    Thank you so much!
    The first try kept perfectly and did not separate out. Considering I’ve never tried this before, I was really surprised.
    I absolutely do not have ANY IDEA what I’m doing (my interest is in health mostly, not chemistry!)! I’m kinda learning in the fly - luckily this is kinda a hobby for me so it’s fun.
    I couldn’t find much on a magnesium cream and how to make it asside from the fact that they probably need a preservative and that the water and wax phase need to be approximately the same tempature to mix without an emulsifying wax. I did find some posts on this board that we’re dealing with some similar ingredients and figured that this was the best place to get some answers that I wasn’t finding through my own research.
    I have considered switching to an olive-based emulsifying wax. I’m trying to keep each ingredient to have some purpose for the skin. Not sure if the processing that emulsifying waxes removed some of the characteristics from the original source. White Lotus is anti-inflammatory (as is nearly every other ingredient), it was a replacement from beeswax… though I suppose it can always be switched out again.
    So, if the issue is free water, would it be correct to say that it probably doesn’t need a preservative for the kind of shelf-life I’m looking at? I was trying to be in the safe side because I am on immuno-supressants and don’t want to slathering a whole lot of nasty microbes onto my skin (nor my son for that matter). I’m also considering sending some to some friends who have shown some interest (through the mail, maybe with an ice pack because I’m working with a high polyphenol Olive oil that might degrade a bit with heat)… not sure if that makes any difference.
  • Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    Also: is the zinc really a problem? It’s kinda an important component to form a moisture barrier and an extra soothing component (I find it works quite well for broken skin, I use it in all my anhydrous butters). I’d really like to keep a zinc component for that reason.
    Also: I do plug this into a calculator for percentages. I’ll fix it next time so that it’s by weight. I can post the percentages if that would be more helpful.
  • gunther

August 21, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Please list and weigh ingredients in grams/milligrams as tablespoonfuls aren’t accurate.

AFAIK salts like Magnesium salts aren’t absorbed well by the skin.
    So please look up for studies on its absorption (i.e. at Pubmed). If Mg salts aren’t well absorbed then you can sharply reduce its percentage, even as low as claim ingredient levels because it ain’t really doing anything useful in the formula.

• Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 5:09 pm
    I did read up on it and it did sound like magnesium sulfate (generally in the form of a bath) and magnesium chloride do appear to work, to some extent, for transdermal… though obviously the research to date appears to be equal on both sides as to if it does or doesn’t (mostly in that a lot of studies said they don’t suggest it because of poor absorption). The impression I got was that about 30% gets through (though, again, the study I read that got this kind of quality was through using Epsom in a bath - I’m sure that soaking allows the ingredients to get deeper. I figured the MSM and Jojoba would help for this purpose as they’re supposed to help penetrate the skin barrier.
    Ya guys are kinda making it sound like I should scrap the magnesium and msm and just go back to anhydrous formulations. ?
  • Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 5:33 pm
    Also: the mention about cultures…
    I was reading up on MSM and it’s purpose as a preservative and came across studies on cell cultures - obviously this has nothing to do with topicals nor cosmetics. They were using about 1-5% in the cultures growing H1N1 (flu virus) and using it in some way to encourage the virus growth… at least that’s what it sounded like.
    I’m not totally sure what the mechanism there is. MSM is a totally new ingredient to me that I’ve been looking at playing with for awhile. I had considered DSMO for a bit but decided that it was too dangerous to work with because it increases penetration too much and can cause nasty stuff to get into the blood stream. I do understand that MSM crosses the blood-brain barrier but it sounded like that’s oral use.
  • pharma

August 21, 2019 at 7:20 pm
    Zinc oxide may form organic zinc salts at low pH (likely, only a small fraction will react) but since a low % of for example zinc sulfate is allowed in cosmetics, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue… but then again, who knows without knowing?
    If you have enough wax in your oil phase, what you get is similar to a traditional cold cream, a pseudo-emulsion without emulsifier which becomes fairly stable due to the oil phase being solid enough to prevent water droplet movement/fusion/sedimentation.
    Personally (and I really mean that in a subjective way), I’d add glyceryl caprylate, pentylene glycol and Cosphaderm magnolia extract 98 (does also exist as pre-mix Cosphaderm MultiMEG). You don’t need much because you have a very small water phase. The proposed % to be used doesn’t always have to be with regard to the total but just to the amount water phase especially with highly water soluble preservatives and if you’re only using it because, as we say, double-stitched holds better. Well, magnolia extract (composed of mostly magnolol and honokiol) is oil soluble and therefore, this rule of thumbs doesn’t apply. The upside is, that magnolol and honokiol are anti-inflammatory and you might want to add more anyway :smiley: . Glyceryl caprylate isn’t fully water soluble (though it probably is in a water/MSM mixture) but because it should also serve as emulsifier, not using less seems also beneficial.
    Magnesium does go into upper skin layers but it doesn’t penetrate through them. Small quantities can be found in the bloodstream but magnesium being more of a quantitative than a trace element, such small quantities don’t do anything. I read quite a bit about topical magnesium: It’s a dream unless you’re using it for topical effects.
    Besides, MgCl2 does perform better than the sulfate and it can show synergism with glycerol, urea or pentylene glycol ;) .
    Regarding anti-inflammatory activities: Facts point toward MSM not just being the main metabolite of DMSO but also for being the active form of DMSO. To be on the safe side, go with MSM since it’s safe and does penetrate skin well.
    I don’t know that publication about flu viruses and would have to read it to be able to explain anything. One factor might be that MSM has properties of osmolytes and these can have effects on virus viability or shedding. But osmolytes have many more effects, for the most part very beneficial for skin ;) .
  • Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 7:57 pm
    Ingredients by %
    Water:
    Water - 10.21
    Magnesium - 5.11
    MSM - 5.11
    Oat - 1.7
    Wax:
    Lotus Wax - 3.4
    Sal Butter - 10.21
    Jojoba - 2.55
    Avocado - 1.27
    Hemp - 0.85
    Zinc - 5.11
    Vit C - 0.85
    Base:
    Cupuacu Butter - 20.43
    Olive - 15.32
    Grapeseed - 12.77
    Sea Buckthorn - 0.85
    Vit E - 1.7
    Vit D - 1.7
    Aloe - 0.43
    Bamboo - 0.43
    When I make it again I’ll weigh it so that I can have the correct quantities, but this should be relatively accurate to what %s I’m looking at.
  • Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 8:31 pm
    By grams this should be (note kinda aprox as a TBSP isn’t a perfect 15 grams, ect):
    Water:
    Water - 30
    Mag - 15
    MSM - 15
    Oat - 5
    Wax:
    Lotus Wax - 10
    Sal Butter - 30
    Jojoba - 7.5
    Avocado - 3.75
    Hemp - 2.5
    Zinc - 15
    Vit C - 2.5
    Base:
    Cupuacu Butter - 60
    Olive - 45
    Grapeseed - 37.5
    Vit E - 5
    Vit D - 5
    Aloe - 1.25
    Bamboo - 1.25
    I’m guessing I’m going to have to round out the odd numbers so it weighs out correctly? (Example: bumping up 2.5 grams to 3 grams, ect… at least to make it easy on myself?)
  • Zaf

August 21, 2019 at 8:56 pm
    Thank you so much Pharm! I will look into all of that and see what changes I want/need to make! That is all super helpful!!!
    So the problem with the zinc is specifically the oxide?
    I did read up on magnesium oxide as an alternative, it didn’t sound like it’s used as often but sounds like it might have similar qualities to zinc in forming a moisture barrier and encouraging healing.
    Though this might explain why the first few days of this cream’s life I needed to mix it in thoroughly so that it didn’t leave a white film… and about a week in this quality completely disappeared. Perhaps it reacted and changed to a sulfate? It sounds like zinc sulfate isn’t nearly as safe as zinc oxide so… yeah, might have to go (magnesium turning into sulfate would be much more preferable).
  • Zaf

August 22, 2019 at 12:20 am
    Ok, no, maybe the whole oxide component needs to go. ? That’s some strange chemistry stuff I probably don’t want to mess with (I can read a medical study but tried to pull up a paper on magnesium chloride and magnesium oxide reactions and realized that I can’t read about 50% of this!).
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Zaf

August 22, 2019 at 1:16 am

If I switch back to a magnesium sulfate, boost the levels maybe (to 10%) and with the addition of the MSM get a decent absorption? I’m not going for raising systemic magnesium levels (not that there’s anything bad about that - it’s certainly a bonus), but hoping to get it past the skin to the soft tissue… and with an emulsifier get it to not go gritty (or add just enough water to incorporate)? I kinda want the soft butter to remain the largest component. Too much water and it seems to break the moisture barrier.

• gunther

August 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Zaf said:

If I switch back to a magnesium sulfate, boost the levels maybe (to 10%) and with the addition of the MSM get a decent absorption? I’m not going for raising systemic magnesium levels (not that there’s anything bad about that - it’s certainly a bonus), but hoping to get it past the skin to the soft tissue… and with an emulsifier get it to not go gritty (or add just enough water to incorporate)? I kinda want the soft butter to remain the largest component. Too much water and it seems to break the moisture barrier.

Too much guesswork
    You may wish to read the studies cited here
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/
    and fully replicate the formulations that have fairly good absorption, because not all do.
    Don’t take the article as is, as it’s just a review article. Please read the studies cited there.

• pharma

August 22, 2019 at 8:14 pm
    Grittiness is best avoided by using enough water, an emulsifier won’t help with salt crystals. Magnesium chloride is twice as water soluble as the sulfate ;) .
    Magnesium oxide will react faster and fully with acids whereas zinc oxide tends to be slow and superficial (different solubility, different crystal structure etc., though a paper sketch formula won’t show any differences). If you want something even less reactive, titanium oxide might be a workaround (though it’s no longer considered as inert as we used to think, same story as with zinc oxide a while back…). Or switch ascorbyl palmitate with ethyl ascorbic acid (not acidic anymore) and use a batch of magnesium chloride which has a neutral pH. In theory, MgCl2 in solution is neutral! Acidic solutions are due to traces of other salts, probably hydrochloric acid (?), or other impurities present at possibly up to 5% but not caused by MgCl2 itself. Neutralising these with whatever pleases you should solve the issue. Besides, theory says that MgCl2 + ZnO won’t react to MgO + ZnCl2 but would react the other way round. The issue of zinc oxide instability might be hiding in the unknown…
  • markbroussard

August 22, 2019 at 9:33 pm

@Zaf:

Here’s a formula that was used in this referenced pilot study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5389641/

Magnesium Cream:
    Lot # T10224:  Aqua, magnesium chloride (10%), cetearyl olivate, sorbitan
    olivate, isopropyl palmitate, emulsifying wax, glycerine, butyrospermum parkii
    (shea butter), hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate,
    phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol

You might want to start with a more simple formulation to begin and then add other ingredients from there.  I have developed MgCl cream formulas similar to the above.  As I stated earlier, this is a challenging product to make.  The alternative therapy market prefers the use of Zeichenstein salts as the source of MgCl.

With dissociated Cl ions in solution, all you need is a proton donor and it’ll form HCl and the ZnO will react with the acid to decompose to Zinc Cloride.

• Zaf

August 24, 2019 at 9:38 pm
    I had actually already read most of those studies in previous research I’d done, but I appreciate it all the same.
    I think I have a plan of attack, but I may end up making a couple different batches/creams to test everything and see where it leads me. The recipe was very helpful.
    Thank you all so much for your help!!!
  • pharma

August 24, 2019 at 10:10 pm

…With dissociated Cl ions in solution, all you need is a proton donor and it’ll form HCl and the ZnO will react with the acid to decompose to Zinc Cloride.

Sounds a bit too generalised to me. Else, you would have problems as soon as, well, you take cosmetic grade ingredients since salt (sodium CHLORIDE) is a very common contaminant. Also, many formulas contain salt… doesn’t mean that you have instantaneous and complete decomposition of zinc oxide (or iron springs in dispensers). Sure, a strong enough acid will result in a corrosive mixture (which is chloride ions and protons but not HCl). The problem lies in increased solubility of many metal ions in the form of chloride salts which commonly results in rusting or dissolution of a metal otherwise resistant to certain acids such as aluminium to vinegar, where dissolution in conjunction with salt occurs only because of the protective aluminium oxide (yes, I know, metal oxide) becoming soluble in acidic brine.
    Do you have any literature regarding magnesium chloride (or calcium chloride) reacting with zinc oxide? I’d be grateful to learn something new!
  • markbroussard

August 25, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Well, one major difference would be that you are comparing the effect of 10% to 15% Zeichstein Salts MgCl to trace amounts of NaCl if it is used as a processing aid.  While NaCl may be a common contaminant, you’re talking more on the order of 0.01% or less.

I can tell you from experience having developed 4 commercial MgCl Cream products that the pH of a 30% Zeichstein Salt MgCl solution is 4.0.  Simple fact from direct experience.

• belassi

August 25, 2019 at 6:06 pm

Do you have any literature regarding magnesium chloride (or calcium chloride) reacting with zinc oxide?
    If this happened it would produce magnesium oxide + zinc chloride. However … I think it’s impossible, the positions on the electrochemical table imply the reaction can’t move in that direction.

• belassi

August 25, 2019 at 6:10 pm

For instance, ferric chloride reacts to replace copper, producing copper chloride, because the series goes Iron-Tin-Copper. For magnesium and zinc it’s similar, Magnesium-Aluminium-Zinc

• markbroussard

August 25, 2019 at 7:02 pm

I think part of the misunderstanding here is the assumption that salts are netural.  In fact, salts can be acidic, neutral or basic in solution.  In water, they dissociate into the conjugate acid-base pairs.  Solid MgCl will not react with ZnO, but dissolved MgCl is an acidic salt.  ZnO is soluble in HCl and dissolves to form ZnCl.  Since Zeichstein salts are not pure MgCl, there could be other components that contribute to the acidity besides the MgCl itself.

• pharma

August 25, 2019 at 7:39 pm
    The electrochemical potential doesn’t apply here since the metal ions don’t change their 2+ positive charge, whether they are in the form of a soluble chloride salt or an insoluble oxide. According to the electrochemical series, mixing calcium hydroxide or oxide with magnesium chloride wouldn’t result in calcium chloride and magnesium hydroxide. On the other hand, it is in accordance with what you @Belassi and I suspect: nothing happens when mixing magnesium chloride with zinc oxide. There are even publications producing nano-ZnO by mixing ZnCl2 with MgO.
    It’s not about electrochemical potential but mostly about solubility of the oxides and hydroxides and where the equilibria between oxide <-> hydroxides (in the case of zinc, also which kinds hydroxides) <-> free 2+ ions lie.
    BTW it’s called Zechstein and that is a marketing gag! Most MgCl2 from Europe which has not resulted from synthesis by-products or sea water is mined from a sediment layer called zechstein. It’s comparable with rock salt! And stupid consumers believe that sea salt is good and rock salt is bad but rock MgCl2 is good and sea MgCl2 (most US MgCl2 comes from lake water) is bad. In the end, it’s highly refined and purified MgCl2 either way. Nothing magic about “Zechstein magnesium” and it doesn’t contain more or less whatever there could be. Its pH is simply a matter of contaminants and how it has been purified. Which contaminants cause acidity, I do not know, it could be something like MgCl2-HCl since chloride tends to form complexes with metals but that’s speculation. In the end, it’s just about pH and how much acid is in there. Small traces of a strong acid can drop pH considerably but will be neutralised in no time.
Page 1 of 2