Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Shampoo Tinting

• Shampoo Tinting

Posted by Healthyhair1 on August 2, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Hello All

I have created an all natural shampoo that detangles and cleanses the hair very good. However when I make the shampoo once I add citric acid it turns white (which I like), however days later it turns yellow. What can I do to keep a white color for the shampoo? Is there an all natural colorant or ingredient I can add to preserve the color? The ingredients are listed below:

water
    decyl glucoside
    aloe Vera juice
    coconut oil
    dl panthenol
    citric acid
    jojoba oil
    castor oil
    xanthan gum
    optiphen
    essential oil

pharma replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • pharma

August 2, 2019 at 6:14 pm
    Does it also discolour when omitting citric acid?
    I suppose it’s either aloe vera juice which spoils (an antioxidant might help) or the emulsion is not stable (formation of larger droplets -> decrease oil content and/or add a co-surfactant and/or increase xanthan). You could also try to replace aloe vera with plain water and see if the same thing happens.
    How much oils and detergent does your shampoo contain?
  • Healthyhair1

August 2, 2019 at 10:30 pm

I have not tested shelf line without citric acid because the shampoo was a bit stripping without citric acid. 

I’ve also tried it with coconut water and the same result. 

Should I use aloe powder instead of aloe juice or is there anything I can do to prevent it from spoiling? 

I forgot to add I use Guar aswell as the xanthan 50/50 ratio 

Oils 4.75%
    detergent 17%

• pharma

August 3, 2019 at 3:58 pm
    Coconut water is as fragile as aloe juice and there’s no difference to aloe powder.
    Still, I suspect it’s a matter of physical stability rather than microbial spoilage.