Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Replacement for Soya Lecithin?

• Replacement for Soya Lecithin?

Posted by GabyD on July 26, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Hello everyone, I removed Soya Lecithin from my emulsion formula as it was the likely culprit for the mould problem. I also didn’t like the way it coloured my emulsion.

The problem now is that my emulsion is separating. Any idea what I can add to correct this? It has to be Ecocert-allowed and palm oil-free.

Thanks.

GabyD replied 4 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ngarayeva001

July 26, 2019 at 10:30 pm

You can try Glyceryl Stearate SE.  Glyceryl stearate is made by reacting glycerin with stearic acid, which can be soy derived. It should be Ecocert approved. Is it for the same formula you posted before? If yes, have you considered adding 1,3 Propanediol to reduce water activity? It’s a humectant, and it’s palm free. Your formula lacks humectants.

• GabyD

July 26, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Thank @ngarayeva001, I shall look into both of those.

• markbroussard

July 27, 2019 at 12:55 am

@GabyD:

You might find this helpful: http://www.newdirections.com.au/articles/article.php?aid=133

INGREDIENTS (%):
    Water - 64.4
    Aloe Vera Powder 0.5
    Solagum Tara - 0.3
    Coconut Oil - 18
    Olyvoyl Emulsifier - 3.8
    Shea Butter - 8
    Floraesters K100 - 2
    Vegelane - 1
    Soya Lecithin - 0.5
    Microcare SB - 1
    Lavender EO - 0.5
    Citric Acid to pH 5.8.

Also note that your Oils/Butters total 27% of your total formula, which is very high.  You might want to cut you Coconut Oil down to 8% and Shea Butter down to 6% and increase the Olivoil Emulsifier to 6% - 8% and pair it with Glyceryl Stearate Citrate.

• GabyD

July 27, 2019 at 1:29 am

Great advice Mark, thank you.