Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Ketoconazole in shampoos

• Ketoconazole in shampoos

Posted by jackleon80s on July 13, 2019 at 6:56 am

From my understanding of Ketoconazole, it is insoluble in water and most soluble in DMSO.

What I do not understand is how is it sustained in shampoos such as “Nizoral”, where I do not see a solvent for Ketoconazole in the ingredient list. 

Am I missing something? How would one disperse Ketoconazole evenly throughout a formula?

microformulation replied 4 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • pharma

July 13, 2019 at 8:43 am

Detergents ;) .

• jackleon80s

July 13, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Sorry, Pharma said:

Detergents ;) .

Can you clarify please?

• pharma

July 13, 2019 at 9:06 pm

It’s a shampoo, it’s supposed to contain detergents i.e. substances which dissolve lipophilic aka oil-soluble matter such as dirt, sebum and ketoconazole.

• jackleon80s

July 13, 2019 at 9:44 pm

So then if Ketoconzaole is oil soluble then any oil can be used and emulsified with water to produce a evenly distributed product.

If that is the case then detergent would not even be required as just oil, water and a emulsifier should be sufficient, is this correct?

• microformulation

July 14, 2019 at 12:00 am

You can answer these questions and more by doing a simple Google search. The J&J patent describes the Formulation.

• em88

July 14, 2019 at 1:32 pm

You can answer these questions and more by doing a simple Google search. The J&J patent describes the Formulation.

May I know the patent number? 

• microformulation

July 14, 2019 at 3:42 pm
    No, and only for the reason that any Formulator MUST know how to check a patent.  If you are selling a product, a patent search is part of the Product Development phase.
    Go to Google patents and do a search. It will help in this case as well as future products. https://patents.google.com/

• jackleon80s

July 14, 2019 at 5:58 pm

I did do many google searches and did not find anything. This is why I decided to ask here in the first place.

• belassi

July 14, 2019 at 8:07 pm
  • em88

July 14, 2019 at 8:53 pm

No, and only for the reason that any Formulator MUST know how to check a patent.  If you are selling a product, a patent search is part of the Product Development phase.
    Go to Google patents and do a search. It will help in this case as well as future products. https://patents.google.com/

Are you kidding me? How did you assume, I did not know how to search for patents? As a researcher, citations are a must when writing other’s work!
    I only asked for the patent number, 1 because you already red/had it, and 2 I was on my phone. 
    For your information, Google patents is not the best database for patents.
    Now we should be afraid even to ask for the information source? That’s pathetic. 
    Back to the topic. That patent had a few “mistakes”, probably to avoid publishing information.
    Ketoconazole shampoos have two major problems, one is solubility and the second is stability of the api. Both of these problems can be solved. There are a few threads here (I’m on mobile and I can’t find right now the search option in this forum to link the threads) that may provide some info.. Since the level of egoism is so high and there are so many quick smart people in this thread I’m not going to write my personal research here (and I have already solved these problems). 

Why do people bother to help when they don’t like doing it,resulting in the end being impolite?

• jackleon80s

July 14, 2019 at 8:58 pm

em88 said:

Are you kidding me? How did you assume, I did not know how to search for patents? As a researcher, citations are a must when writing other’s work!
    I only asked for the patent number, 1 because you already red/had it, and 2 I was on my phone. 
    Now we should be afraid even to ask for the information source? That’s pathetic. 
    Back to the topic. That patent had a few “mistakes”, probably to avoid publishing information.
    Ketoconazole shampoos have two major problems, one is solubility and the second is stability of the api. Both of these problems can be solved. There are a few threads here (I’m on mobile and I can’t find right now the search option in this forum to link the threads) that may provide some info.. Since the level of egoism is so high and there are so many quick smart people in this thread I’m not going to write my personal research here (and I have already solved these problems). 

Why do people bother to help when they don’t like doing it,resulting in the end being impolite?

Thanks, this is the type of reply I was looking for. I know it’s not easy to formulate with Ketoconazole, and I have indeed did several searches to find how to formulate it into a shampoo with no success. 

If you can point me in the right direction on how to solve these two major problems, that would be very helpful.

• jackleon80s

July 14, 2019 at 9:04 pm

Belassi said:

To what limit do patents for formulations are in effect?

Does this patent prevent any other product created and put on the market containing both ketoconazole and butylated hydroxtoluene? Is this why Nizorol is one of the very few shampoos containing ketoconazole?

• em88

July 14, 2019 at 9:04 pm

em88 said:

Thanks, this is the type of reply I was looking for. I know it’s not easy to formulate with Ketoconazole, and I have indeed did several searches to find how to formulate it into a shampoo with no success. 

If you can point me in the right direction on how to solve these two major problems, that would be very helpful.

I will write you privately, tomorrow (it’s too late now in my country)  and will direct you to the right problems so you can understand and solve your formulation by yourself. :)

• jackleon80s

July 14, 2019 at 10:17 pm

em88 said:

I will write you privately, tomorrow (it’s too late now in my country)  and will direct you to the right problems so you can understand and solve your formulation by yourself. :)

Thank you, looking forward!

• pharma

July 15, 2019 at 6:07 am

Me, I never had any success when using patents as guidelines/starting point for stuff to create (wasn’t cosmetics, though).

• doreen

July 15, 2019 at 9:26 am

@em88
    You’re a pharmacist too if I remember correctly. You can ask Perry to put it behind your name, like Pharma has. 
    I thought I’d mention it as I know that you have so much professional knowledge.

• doreen

July 15, 2019 at 9:36 am

em88 said:
    (…) Why do people bother to help when they don’t like doing it,resulting in the end being impolite?

My thoughts exactly!

• em88

July 15, 2019 at 3:35 pm

em88 said:

em88 said:

Thank you, looking forward!

Done. Hope it will help you to get things started. 

• em88

July 15, 2019 at 3:44 pm

Pharma said:

Me, I never had any success when using patents as guidelines/starting point for stuff to create (wasn’t cosmetics, though).

I’ve been working with patents for several years, and my experience is a mixed up one. I have red patents which were very good and could learn things from, others were things which could not be applied in normal industrial enoirment, and others were basically wrong. But it is worth to read patents when you can find them. 

• em88

July 15, 2019 at 3:50 pm

Doreen said:

@em88
    You’re a pharmacist too if I remember correctly. You can ask Perry to put it behind your name, like Pharma has. 
    I thought I’d mention it as I know that you have so much professional knowledge.

Thanks for the the kind words. You are right I’m a pharmacist,  and more exactly a pharm.D. :), but it is not necessary to add it in my username. 

• microformulation

July 15, 2019 at 6:01 pm
    My comments was directed to Professional Development and I think @Belassi saw the value in the comment. Feed a man, teach him to fish and all that.